• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Right got the paint pressure pot

Petebigmatch

Apprentice Member
Got a 10 litre piant pressure pot off fleabay just needs a few bits to get it up and running.
Devilbliss 120 lbs design pressure ,working pressure 80lbs, should be ok I think

Few thing I would like to know

If I want to do a hybrid wood and resin blank ,will i need to stabalised he wood first or will the resin do that,

What resin would be best to use,please can you advise on time in pressure pot and times
Which is the strongest/toughest least prone to cracking/ breaking

Any advice would be appreciated as totally new to this,never cast anything before,
But we all have (or had)to learn at some point

Jim

Grand Master
Not sure about stabilising the wood first Pete but I would be using water clear resin. All my castings in the pressure pot have never been more than overnight and always been sufficient.. :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Haven't a clue mate ..but good luck.:thumbs:
Me either but help is at hand we have competent casters here on the forum, some understanding can be easily gained from Forum libraries looking around. Bit like reaching the Guru at the top of the inevitable mountain with your question. Its open ended but I wish you good fortune on this next slippery slope into addiction.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Petebigmatch

Apprentice Member
From what I have read (and that's all I have been doing upto now) is that Alumilite seems to be the one that is
Must suited to my needs,rather expensive but I think it has the kind of strength properties which I will be looking
From the YouTube vids I seems quite easy to use ( I could be wrong and usually are ) .

Btw got the parts to convert my paint pressure pot to a casting pot,well almost,got a pressure release valve to
pick up next week then should be able to get it going

ericofpendom

Apprentice Member
Hi Pete,

From my limited experience the amount of time in the pot will depend heavily on your resin mixture. If you have used a lot of catalyst in the mix and a short gel up time then you will need to get it in the pot real quick and it will only need a short time as once at the gel stage then hopefully the bubbles wont be able to come back, so no need to be in the pot. If you are in no rush then you can leave them in the pot over night or all day. Once removed from the pot you might need to put them somewhere warm to Post Cure. Try and leave them as long as you can before turning, I know it's hard to be patient, especially when you see some of the colours but if you try and turn them too soon you might be disappointed. Watch plenty of stuff on youtube, there are tons of videos. I hope I have helped but I am no means an expert, and I have no experience of fusion blanks yet, something I will be trying this year. Have a look at George Watkins stuff online, his fusion blanks are fantastic.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Eric...

Shaver

First Name
Tam
You are getting a bit confused with stabilizing, if making a wood/resin blank you would only need to stabilize the wood if it was punky, or soft for some reason. If stable and sound just put the wood in and cast.

I bought my supplies from here, just playing with polyester resin at the moment. Like you I'm just starting out.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Curious about your progress watching U Tube they make it look easy, my first reaction was alright for them but now have thoughts like how do they cope in 30 degrees below or in Arizona etc over the 40,s continually Good luck.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).