• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Where to buy Alumilite

Petebigmatch

Apprentice Member
Yeah did that and only came up with a few ,just wondered if any new names /suppliers came up
After water clear casting resin

paulloseby

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
I have just bought some Water Clear Alumilite from Nigel. Having got it and read the instructions - and had a word with Alumilite themselves, humidity affects the casting. Here in Leicester it is 82% at the minute and that seems to be too much. I am trying to find out how to solve the problem and will let you know if I manage to get the answer.

Regards

Paul

Jim

Grand Master
I have just bought some Water Clear Alumilite from Nigel. Having got it and read the instructions - and had a word with Alumilite themselves, humidity affects the casting. Here in Leicester it is 82% at the minute and that seems to be too much. I am trying to find out how to solve the problem and will let you know if I manage to get the answer.

Regards

Paul

Welcome to the forums Paul, i am very interested in trying out some Alumilite, so if you do come up with an answer please post it back my friend .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The humidity to be concerned about is in whatever you cast in the Alumilite just make sure everything you use like mixing cups etc is bone dry also if you use pressure then make sure your compressor is not introducing moisture content.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome Paul... I would be interested to find out more about Alumilite Pete

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Alumilite is an American brand name for polyurethane resin, it is a two part resin that is mixed 50-50. it has a very short open time when mixed anything from 90 seconds to 5 minutes and has a de-mould time of around 5-10 minutes. It is less brittle than polyester resin and doesn't have the noxious smell of PE so it could be used indoors without upsetting anyone. It costs 3-6 times or more depending where you buy it from than PE resin. It is susceptible to humidity, but so is PE resin, but the humidity in the air is less of a problem than moisture introduced into the resin by using wet or damp utensils or inserts to be cast. A simple filter for the compressor will take care of the moisture that compressors can normally contain.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).