• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Well I have had a go........

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
As I said in my introduction post, I have never used Acrylic, but I got brave last week and purchased some blanks "Nothing ventured nothing gained Rodney"

So today was the day, cut some of them to rough length, kn*****ed 3 bits attempting to drill it (told you my drill press was over the hill) eventually got one bit conquered, thought well what can I do with some of the salvageable bits, so cobbled together a Frankenblank. Then to ease my troubled nerves reverted to the comfort of wood for a couple.

I guess I need some hints, tips and tuition on the art of Acrylic.

Any critique and criticism welcomed, I am a big boy I can take it!:2cry:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 51

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
The best thing to do with Acrylic is.... use wood.... ha ha ha ha.

I guess that Rowdy is the best one to tell you how to turn Acrylic, he's the king, oh and Woody... and .... well everyone except me I think.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Only my opinion but you have put tarts blanks on bullet pens, sorry it just don't go together.
As with all materials the same advise, sharp tools and fine cuts init?

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
There's a lot of woods which are more difficult than acrylics ....If your tools are sharp and no doubt they are then it's just a case of turning a few until you are confident .:thumbs:

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Only my opinion but you have put tarts blanks on bullet pens, sorry it just don't go together.
As with all materials the same advise, sharp tools and fine cuts init?

I totally agree, however we have a number of Ladies in our Gun Club so you can guess who I have made them for!

Deffo on the sharp tools and fine cuts though, I was taught that by the time you realise it's blunt it is probably too late!

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi
I couldn't advise on turning acrylic 'cos there are those on here with vast experience who would help you so much more. I am with grump on the choice of acrylic with bullet pens though and personally feel they need to be wood or at least a camo type acrylic.
My wife has sold more than 20 acrylic pens for me in the last few weeks. Every acrylic went to a woman and all but two were slimlines which tells me something.

As far as drilling is concerned, I've tried a number of ways and got reasonable results with my excellent quality Meddings drill and a home made clamp, however I've reverted to drilling in the lathe as being by far the most reliable method for me. I use a metalworking centrepoint drill to locate the starting hole, fix the blank in a chuck and centre with a live centre on the lathe before tightening up then if slimline a 7mm drill in a tailstock chuck. Slowest speed and a little at a time withdrawing regularly. If a larger tube then I do the same and go though several drill sizes to the correct one. Never had a failure or blowout so far and hole almost always dead centre unlike the drill press.

Just my twopennerth from my limited experience and I'm sure other members can offer better ways.

Keep trying

Just read your post about the gun club:nooidea:

Bob

Last edited:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Happiness is having finished a few pens the number you make informs you of the trials and happy outcomes that follow. Your choices of blank material are personal and to be respected. I find drilling for me is with an XY movement vice on the drill press a fast speed and a suitable drill (every one to his own) I can have a hundred or two blanks drilled fairly quickly with rare failures however I am very fussy choosing blanks for soundness etc. There are pics of every aspect of my turning on the forum including my preferences re drills etc.

Thanks for showing all the best Peter.:thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
If your new to turning in general it doesn't really matter whether you use acrylic or wood. Just turn and get the experience as style and choice of blanks will come with experience and you have done very well !!!!!:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Goulss, have you the facility to drill on the lathe? Many of us on here do this with very good success .. Regarding the pens that you have made above, if you are not happy with them you can dismantle the pen and turn off the material from the tube and start again, especially if you intend to sell them .. Like many hobbies it is all about practice and more practice, but you will get there my friend .. :thumbs:

I just posted the other day about turning Acrylic, turn it round with a gouge taking very small cuts sharpening regular .. Use a sharp skew as a scrapper until you get confident using it as it should be used .. You will get good results doing this as long as you keep the tools sharp .. :winking:

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
If your new to turning in general it doesn't really matter whether you use acrylic or wood. Just turn and get the experience as style and choice of blanks will come with experience and you have done very well !!!!!:thumbs:

Terry, yes fairly new I only started round and brown turning in 2001, so compared with some of the elder statesmen on here I am a NOOB lol.

Pen turning I have only ever done a few as gifts and that was a while back, so yes a real new starter! Hence all the questions and studying all the posts on this stunning forum (has to be one of the best I have ever been on)

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Goulss, have you the facility to drill on the lathe? Many of us on here do this with very good success .. Regarding the pens that you have made above, if you are not happy with them you can dismantle the pen and turn off the material from the tube and start again, especially if you intend to sell them .. Like many hobbies it is all about practice and more practice, but you will get there my friend .. :thumbs:

I just posted the other day about turning Acrylic, turn it round with a gouge taking very small cuts sharpening regular .. Use a sharp skew as a scrapper until you get confident using it as it should be used .. You will get good results doing this as long as you keep the tools sharp .. :winking:

Blooming heck Jim it was enough trouble getting the little devils together, now you say dismantle them, didn't know they were like Meccano? How the heck do you get em apart then?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Blooming heck Jim it was enough trouble getting the little devils together, now you say dismantle them, didn't know they were like Meccano? How the heck do you get em apart then?

Transfer Punches. Have a look in the tutorial section Walter shows how to do a slimline, same principals apply.

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
HeHe you're so funny next you'll be telling me they're allowed on the golf course init?

Standards dear boy standards..........of course we let em in, who else would soothe our fevered brow when we miss or make the Tea/Coffee/Cocoa (delete choices not required)

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Terry, yes fairly new I only started round and brown turning in 2001, so compared with some of the elder statesmen on here I am a NOOB lol.

Pen turning I have only ever done a few as gifts and that was a while back, so yes a real new starter! Hence all the questions and studying all the posts on this stunning forum (has to be one of the best I have ever been on)

Sorry Goulss I missed the word pen out it should have read pen turning in general !!!!!:sob::sob::sob:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).