• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Modifying my dust removal entry

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just changed direction rejigging Mandrel set up on the Pen Lathe. Using a rotary oscillating Sander enabled a step down adapter to be shaped as offset as well I bless the day years ago with that purchase. The intake pipe comes through the table behind the mandrel, I used to use a box to catch shavings and dust then pared it down to a plate on an elbow, now new elbow,offset step up ready to shape when I fit the new Collet holder (will take pics of that when I finish the installation of both tomorrow.

The snorkel shape reminded me of the Miniature Japanese Submarine that brought the war to Sydney in 1945 my Dad went across the heads by ferry from Manly to Circular Quay and the submarine followed it through the boom gate and fired on the shore. The crew must have been midgets as well to fit in the tin can. It was blown up and the remains housed here in Canberra at The Australian War Memorial.

Have given up trying to catch everything turned ie both dust and timber concentrating on suction directed at dust. The way I turn the shavings spill out the side I find.

Pics of the old and the new. Progress?

Peter.:thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 41

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is a super idea Peter, the modified version looks so much better. :thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Evolution of design is something I rather like, and this Peter is a perfect example. The dreaded dust is a constant problem, and this is a good looking solution. Look forward to seeing the rest of it mate!!:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).