• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A bit of a tinker

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Whilst at Woody's yesterday I was interested to see the quick demo of the Robert whasname sharpening thingy.
I don't have a problem sharpening anything except my wits, but hey if Woody has one there must be something in this idea init?
This gimme thoughts about perverting Basil belt sander.
I have only ever used Basil as it was assembled from the box and never passed a thought to any adjustment on it, in fact poor ol Basil was under the bench from lack of use.
Cuppa char in one hand and spanner in t'other loosening a single nut turned Basil's belt platform to 90 degrees on itself, promising methinks.
I took the the table gubbins off of Danny disc and sized them up with Basil to find that no surprise it did fit init?
Sharpened a Charley chisel or two and yes they came up sharp enough to warrant leaving Basil on the bench for further play.
A big plus is at this angle of dangle Basil has a much smaller footprint so I am happy to let him stay for a while init?
If he is gonna be there I may as well put Danny disc back in order too, a bit of thought and look at rod stock came up with it would be easier to make table for Danny than Basil.
A few bends in some 12mm ally Rodney and a couple of pipe clips screwed in and ears what we have so far.

Basil sitting nicely and behaving himself.

P1080125.JPG

Here is Rodney in new shape holding the gubbins together

P1080126.JPG

Danny's new table in place and stable at that. Next job to router a pathway for the mitre guide.

P1080127.JPG

Now on the lookout for some fancy belts of the correct longf to see if they are better.
OK I know it's not Axminster or Sorbey or any other fancy name but it is a way you could jig a sharpening tool out of a basic Basil.
And still eat for a munf on what one of those would cost init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done Brian that is just as good with the right belt like you I have no trouble sharpening just fancied something different and Violet was paying LOL

Jim

Grand Master
Great vision Brian, keep us informed on how you get on with it my friend .. :thumbs:

When I saw the title of this post, why did I think it was from Brody ... :whistling:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It works perfectly well Keith yes it's all fine and dandy.
The biggest issue will be sourcing belts the right size for it, I am looking for TRIZACT and ZIRCONIUM 100mm X 915mm belts, that'll be a challenge.

mattyts

Registered

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I'm on the look out for something similar ..be interesting to see if you can get the different belts Brian.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I'm on the look out for something similar ..be interesting to see if you can get the different belts Brian.
The quest is on, as per Matty above I had seen their site.
They are available at hellish dear prices and from different suppliers.
I would while experimenting like to keep costs minimal and source different grades for blade making and polishing as well as Charley honing and to get them singularly from one supplier would be ideal init?
I did think at first no problem and ordered a pack of 10 Zirc belts then realised they are only 50mm wide so might have to do some further adapting.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Brian I am a believer in flat sharpening of chisels for the obvious reason the curvature of the grind on a grinding wheel especially using a 6 inch wheel I only use 8 inch to me is excessive leading to a weaker cutting edge, my question is which direction will you run the unit to or from and why. It looks a substantial machine for the task in hand.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
This isn't a new concept company's have been using linishers to grind shape finish and sharpen tools and cutlery for years

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Woody If that was aimed at me I realise this but never thought about adapting mine until I saw what you are using.

Peter I have always sharpened by hand on either Carborundum stone or diamond flat and use grinder for grinding / reshaping.
Direction is toward table why, because that is the direction of the motor and I ain't into reversing it unless I need to.
A substantial machine for the task in hand, yes if it were only for a few chisels but I have some knife blades I want to shape and polish.
I have access to a steelworks where the lads have saved offcuts of steels suitable for blades, they have the means to harden temper and linish at the works but the more I can do for myself the more I can cut costs at their plant.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Woody If that was aimed at me I realise this but never thought about adapting mine until I saw what you are using.

Peter I have always sharpened by hand on either Carborundum stone or diamond flat and use grinder for grinding / reshaping.
Direction is toward table why, because that is the direction of the motor and I ain't into reversing it unless I need to.
A substantial machine for the task in hand, yes if it were only for a few chisels but I have some knife blades I want to shape and polish.
I have access to a steelworks where the lads have saved offcuts of steels suitable for blades, they have the means to harden temper and linish at the works but the more I can do for myself the more I can cut costs at their plant.

No Brian I would never try to educate you on sharpening mate it was for anyone who hadn't realised or been around long enough to know and for some newbees who wouldn't have a clue

naxie

Registered
I missed this one some how, a great mod Brian!:applause:

I'm a great fan of a belt sander / linisher for metal shaping and sharpening, hence my thread on to buy or not to buy a ProEdge. Speaking of which I remember you saying about your Woodsharp, makes me want to have a play again!:whistling:

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi All006.jpg006.jpg

Here are a couple of picks for my version of the Robert whojamacallit sharpening system, it's not patented :whistling: so feel free to copy it, came from the amalgamation of two sharpening systems that I no longer use as this does it all.
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg

It works fine for me, there are a couple of good articles on line, I took mine from Jim Echter to begin with then the other well known brand name of belt sharpener, so I have the set up as you see it plus the base plate from the Echter article, when I can find out where I buy my belts from I'll post it.
Regards
Kevin

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
More innovation, love it.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Fantastic Kevin, Mother is the necessity of all invention init?
Love it well done sir.

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi All

In the Echter article he turns the drive belt in a figure eight to reverse the belt, making it run up- over or away from the tool edge, my configuration wouldn't allow for that, but I've not had a catch yet, the other article I spoke about before was by Jon Siegel.
part 1 Big Tree Tools - Your Source for Professional Woodturning Tools and Equipment
Part 2 Big Tree Tools - Your Source for Professional Woodturning Tools and Equipment

I get my belts from here Hollison Supply, Abrasives & Metal Polishing Supplies

Hope this helps, I'd love to see who else has one.

Regards
Kevin

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).