• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finished another knife............

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
This is a Bushcraft knife for a mate of mine, without the patience to make his........... :whistling:

DundeeCity-20130331-00375_zps5c282545.jpg

DundeeCity-20130331-00373_zps3094a5b1.jpg

it's a thick heavy blade, with a Black Micarta sclaes, and a red fibre liner and mosaic pins.

It took a long time to finish, much longer than a pen...

You start by bonding one side side of the scales on to fibre, then on the blade, using Gorillla glue, (Other polyurethane glues are available) Drill one side of the scales for the pins.
Then bond the fibre liner on to the scale, and then to the knife.

You then have to wait a day for the glue to cure...

Rough material is removed using a sanding a disk on an angle grinder, then finer more controlled removal on a belt sander held in a vice.

At this point the scales are still parallel to each other. You then make the curvature with a rounded file, and a flat file.

Then.............. lots and lots of sand paper and wet and dry........... 2 hours later.........................

Then...... plastic hut polish and a dremmel (in the absence of mop and lathe mount)

He's happy with it, anyhow.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
did you forge this from a file, I made one for a workman when I worked on the cutty sark using old wood from the ship,it looks really nice.

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
I bought the blade off a guy I know who makes them, and put I handles and finishings on them, and basically sharpen the work edge.

I do a few a year... takes 6-8 hours spread over a couple of days.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the tutorial mate, more work to making one of these than you would think. :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).