• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another bowl

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Here's one I did finished yesterday. It was turned green and now measures 14.5cm by 15cm. Yes it is meant to be slightly warped as it is for use as a Viking eating bowl and my re-enactor friends like things that are warped (waits for it :mooney2:)
I was told the wood was Birch or beech when I was given it, but it looks more like Poplar to me. Any thoughts?
IMGP0006.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hey Chas nice bowl just right for the job in hand it was good to see you at the show I'm sorry I had to rush of mate hopefully we can catch up another time

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Looks like beech to me, but wood type aside mate thats a great bowl. Good form and even wall thickness. :bravo:

Jim

Grand Master
Great looking bowl Chas, we need to hear more about the re-enacting my friend .. :bwink:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Nice bowl, any Norseman would be proud to eat out of that, out of interest what do you finish them with?

This one is sanded down to 400 grit, given a couple of coats of sanding sealer cut back with 400 grit again. Then finished off with 3 coats of food safe finish. No very Viking I know, but if they were around now they would probaly use every technological thing they could :winking:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Great looking bowl Chas, we need to hear more about the re-enacting my friend .. :bwink:
Jim, we go around the country showing people how the Vikings and Anglo Saxons lived 1000 years ago.:ciggrin:
Oh and battering each other with swords, spears axes and arrows :tongue:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Did I see you at Knebworth craft fair last summer in the center arena and the medieval village.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thats a lovely bowl and now you've also provided me with an excuse when they change shape :thumbs:

I hope its good for the re-enactment. Neil is the man for 'what wood'.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Very suitable bowl Chas neat shape and size. Sounds like you have many bruising encounters and excitement with never a dull moment. Been in a few situations myself the latest learning to fly accidentally from a roof, the roof won hands down. WE just finished watching a series based on the Viking influences in the UK spellbinding.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).