• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A New Newbie!

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
Hi everyone ,I thought I would add a few lines to the forum and introduce myself while I'm waiting for my first lathe to be delivered, I am 58 years old Living in Runcorn cheshire
I'm kind of jumping in at the deep end as I have never used a Lathe before and quite excited at trying a new hobby ,
I'm sure some of you might think I'm mad at spending all this cash on a whim but its something I have wanted to try since I was a lad, here's hoping it turns out for the best (pun intended) .
Wish me luck!!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Welcome to the madhouse Roy come in put your feet up and enjoy the company of many people who can't turn to save their lives but have fun here.
We all learn together in here mate and even the most experienced turner still learns mate you are in good company init?
Seriously though there are some brilliant minds in here you will soon learn how to get spinning.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Welcome aboard Roy. I would think most of us started the same way as yourself by buying a lathe first and then learning how to use it afterwards . Now that you have a lathe the real spending starts !!!! LOL:sob::sob::sob:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome Roy. You have come to the right place if you want to pick up some tips on how to use your new lathe with some excellent turners that will give you as much or as little advice as you want. What lathe are you getting? tools etc?

We love pictures on here and having a laugh so put up any photos including the bad ones.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome Roy if you mad then you have come to the right place we have a few members who are completely insane a shed load of plonkers with there own chairman and secretary just watch out for them but I can guarantee you will be joining there club as soon as you start turning good luck and enjoy

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Don't keep us in suspenders. Delivery of what init?
C'mon what you getting aye?

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Welcome to the forum Roy, you can't do much better than the talent, skill and knowledge to be found in these pages (and no, I don't mean me, I'm one that's always asking). Just ask anything and there will be innumerable people queuing up to give answers and advice.

:yourwelcome::yourwelcome::yourwelcome:

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
I'm sat in waiting for my AH-1218 WOODTURNING LATHE to be delivered together with some bits and doings ,I'm hoping I have chosen well as it did seem to be a bit of a minefield out there choice wise, but eventually decided on this, so now its ordered and paid . I want to have a play with it Grrr, I hate waiting for deliveries

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Roy welcome to the forums ...good to see another North Westerner diving in at the deep end......your very handy for Axeminster Warrington so careful you don't spend too much there, being so close ...it's easily done.:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A good little starter lathe for the price. I looked at those when they were on offer as a third lathe but then common sense cut in stopped me, I told myself to stick with what I have.

naxie

Registered
Welcome to the forum Roy!

It's funny, I always wanted to try turning when I was a young lad aswell. It took me untill I was 37 to get my first lathe though.

You need to take a picture for us when its all set up and lookin shiny. Then another one in 3 months time so we can see all the CA and shavings stuck to it!:whistling::funny:

Good luck with your new hobby, I know you'll love it, and remember we are all here to help. :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I have the VS version Roy ... Don't think you can better them for the money involved.:thumbs:

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
A good little starter lathe for the price. I looked at those when they were on offer as a third lathe but then common sense cut in stopped me, I told myself to stick with what I have.

Third lathe, blooming heck Grump how many pairs of hands do you have!:banana:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Actually it would now be my fourth cos I have a third
1 for wood turning.
1 for grinding and buffing.
1 for metal work.
1 pair of hands and still no time to use em, she has got me doing the housework and cooking for her while she is now the breadwinner init?

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Greetings Roy! There's no such thing as mad when spending money on tools mate :funny: Welcome to the forum, and look forward to seeing the new arrival:wink:

Cheers
Brody

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Hi everyone ,I thought I would add a few lines to the forum and introduce myself while I'm waiting for my first lathe to be delivered, I am 58 years old Living in Runcorn cheshire
I'm kind of jumping in at the deep end as I have never used a Lathe before and quite excited at trying a new hobby ,
I'm sure some of you might think I'm mad at spending all this cash on a whim but its something I have wanted to try since I was a lad, here's hoping it turns out for the best (pun intended) .
Wish me luck!!

Welcome Roy, not mad at all, just be prepared to be skint for a while, it gets very addictive, which can be expensive:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).