• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Didn't know were to put these

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Just made two walking sticks no turning but thought someone might be interested I have never done this before so be gentle the one with the ball I may change to a mahogany thick or a cane
DSCF2398.JPGDSCF2401.JPG
DSCF2399.JPGDSCF2397.JPG

naxie

Registered
Very nice Woody!

I have to use one to stop me falling over, they are certainly alot nice than the metal extenable ones I use.
I think ill have to put them on my "to do" list. :thinks:

What sort of wood would be best to use, I put quite alot of weight through mine so it would need to be pretty stiff?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Very nice Woody!

I have to use one to stop me falling over, they are certainly alot nice than the metal extenable ones I use.
I think ill have to put them on my "to do" list. :thinks:

What sort of wood would be best to use, I put quite alot of weight through mine so it would need to be pretty stiff?

Same here mate at times LOL I used Hazel I got it from here along with the colars, Horn and the wrong size ferrals STICKMAKING SHOP walking stick supplies

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Brilliant mate ...I have had a great piece of blackthorn given to me ..seeing yours has inspired me to do something with it.:down:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I was going to have a go at stick dressing when I was told I had to give up turning but now I have been given the all clear stick dressing has gone out the window

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
They're very good Woody, I have plenty of hazel if you need any, I've got several hazel trees.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
You need to be careful with the title of this thread Woody, you know what some of the members are like. They may just tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:funny::funny::lmao::lmao::funny::funny:

Lovely sticks by the way

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
I could give you a clue where to put at least one of them:biggrin-new:

In my car tomorrow :thumbs:

That's if we are still on of course!

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Love both mate. I like the joints too, they give a nice separation between the different components :thumbs: :thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Blooming heck granddad.... You should know at your age that the stick end goes on the floor and the handle end fits in you hand.. Simple, that's where you put them mate.. :face: My great granddad told me all about them..

Great looking sticks by the way.. :love_it:

Jim

Grand Master
Good to see them Woody, they will look good on your CV my friend :bwink: Love the handle with the dog on it .. :thumbs:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Spent time at the show looking at Colin Hickmans sticks, now they are something to see.

I did a few horn ones some years ago, but that stuff stinks when you nuke it to bend it, turning is a lot more enjoyable I find

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Nice sticks Woody. I used to make them myself a few years ago but gave up when I bought the first lathe. A good website is Thestickman run by Keith Pickering from Helmsley, well worth a look. For the joint between antler and shank you need a collar but with a wooden handle and shaft the skill is to match them exactly - not easy.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Two interesting lines of support Woody never know when one is needed SWMBO two years ago had to have one while receiving Chemo happily now in the corner as a reminder of.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Nice sticks Woody. I used to make them myself a few years ago but gave up when I bought the first lathe. A good website is Thestickman run by Keith Pickering from Helmsley, well worth a look. For the joint between antler and shank you need a collar but with a wooden handle and shaft the skill is to match them exactly - not easy.

yes I have seen his site Keith but to be honest its not really my thing I only made these two because I had the bits and we both need a stick at times

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).