• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Help - What bl**dy shape should this become ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I've stared and stared at this and I cannot decide what shape it should be.

It's wet Sycamore, dropped a week ago, so very wet. Started roughing it out and kind of had a brain fade, I just can't see what shape to make it.

I know it has to go thin so that it hopefully won't crack too much. It's about 8 inch dia widest point and about 4 - 5 inches deep.

So suggestions please and keep them clean. :face:

SAM_2994.JPG
SAM_2995.JPG

Jim

Grand Master
WellPhill, i would just follow the start you have already made, this looks like a good shape already .. :bwink:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Personally, I would lose some of the length, (Height, in the finished bowl) of the blank Phil.
Most people seem to want to keep as much wood as possible from the blank they have, though this is not always the best thing, proportion wise.
Looking at your blank, I would take the spigot higher, then part off to fit the jaws.
Start the curve from the spigot to the top, or the other way around, depending on orientation, to get a nice round bowl, which will turn oval when dry.
Reverse chuck, and either lose the spigot completely, or turn to a foot a couple of mm high, to give the bowl "lift".
Make sure the wall thickness is constant, and don't leave the bottom too thick, or you may get a split.
Hope this helps.
Neil

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I think a nice hollow form with a 1/2" hole in the top, now then are you prepared for the challenge:winking:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Just start turning and go with whatever happens.... Flower pot it is then :funny:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks Woody, I think something simple like the bottom one and done thin should do it ?

I'd just like to say a HUGE thank you to all who contributed with sensible suggestions. :up:

An even bigger thank you to all of you plonkers who couldn't resist extracting the Michael and giving me a good laugh in the process. :mooney2:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Phil you should wrap it in cling film if your not going to finish it other wise it could split wide open over night

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Phil you should wrap it in cling film if your not going to finish it other wise it could split wide open over night

Ta for the tip, it seems to have survived OK so far, but I will get it finished to final size in the morning then I guess it will have to be Tung Oil as that's all I have to hand.

Meant to get some Teak Oil this week but got sidetracked with work and forgot till it was too late. :vangry::vangry:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).