• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A disk sander mounted on a wood lathe

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Substantial Woodfast Lathe I bought years ago only use it to sand blanks etc it was already fitted with the Disk Sander on the end of the main shaft, I was able to buy it reasonably and found out using a dial guage that inboard the shaft had a slight woof in it so what I said and its been dedicated as a sander ever since. If I had a preference I dedicate as many machines to separate tasks that way they are always ready to go no swapping or changing purpose again. I use three phase 415v motor on this one smooth as silk using three phases, good torque no start winding or any of the vibrations that come from single phase. I have and use another old Woodfast Lathe that had a single phase motor fitted it used to annoy with its metal base that used to vibrate badly, fitted three phase to that smooth as can sit a coin on edge start the unit coin stays in place no vibration.

The pictures illustrate how the sander is shrouded to allow dust extraction to whip away the dust believe me with another unit no extraction it was like a Sahara dust storm so I am grateful.:thumbs:

Peter.:thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0002-198.JPG
    DSCF0002-198.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Test Photos with Digital Camera 038.jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 038.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 53
  • Test Photos with Digital Camera 040.jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 040.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Test Photos with Digital Camera 040-001.jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 040-001.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Test Photos with Digital Camera 041-001.jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 041-001.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 53

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
A very usefull looking bit of kit Peter. When you think about it, these two machines are a very close and useful team.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).