• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Brian's Homemade Carbide Tools

Jim

Grand Master
Here are two pairs of Carbide tools made by Brian, which he has kindly donated to the forum .. Please feel free to post what we should do with them regarding them getting out to you the members .. :thinks:

Thanks for these Brian, i hope that some lucky person will be happy knocking out pens or other items with them very soon ... :thumbs:

Carbide_tools.jpg

Homemade_Carbide_tools.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I used mine today turning corian and I tell you what they are the best tools I have ever used on corian and it is still sharp

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Perhaps an auction, I don't know if we have a Forum charity, but Help for Heroes works for me, as a disabled ex serviceman I only wish they had been about in 75.

And if the answer is yes to an auction I will open the bid at £15

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Now thats a good idea Stewart I wont bid as I already have some of them but I will make a donation in fact I already have £10 which was given me the other day for Help 4 heroes

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Whoever ends up with them should treasure them look forward to the results well done Brian very professional and generous..:thumbs:

Peter.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I was going to say, the first person to 2706 posts in the next day should get them but I wont'... :funny:

An auction is an absolutely fantastic idea and for a super cause such as H4H is a even better idea. Say the word and I'll bid although I think the bids should be anonymous but a bid counter allowing others to top it would be a good idea too in my opinion.

Oh and a big Thanks to Brian for donating such lovely tools.

Jim

Grand Master
I am all for an auction, but we need to find a way of doing it .. :pray:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Can I say something now? OK.
Charity begins at home.
These are not the same quality tools that Woody makes, you know his prices are very cheap for a quality tool, I dunno how many he wants to make you'll have to ask him.
I didn't buy any of the bits for these tools and the round ones are only paint scraper blades from Hamilton so will shatter if to much load is put on them, remember this when you need a replacement blade.
These were a bit of fun for me to put something back into the forums, I know Jim pays for our enjoyment and think any monies raised should be with Jim to assist his expenses.
I am happy to go with a majority vote but for those who already have one of Woody's tools you will not be interested in bidding on these, there the field narrows for a bidding race.
How about something silly? Who ever gets the most likes for the funniest joke. Or give them to the next new registrant leaving a valid post or something with a bit of fun attached to it.
Of course they will have to pay P&P whty should Jim be out of pocket yet again.

That's my tuppence worth.

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
I am all for an auction, but we need to find a way of doing it .. :pray:

Jim, on other forums I have seen 2 methods.

1, would be blind bids by PM to your good self or an adjudicator of your choice.

2, is open bids on the a Forum, sometimes it is the cause not the prize that people donate for.

Or if that is too much effort stick all of this years new members names in a hat and draw it, nice and simple!

mattyts

Registered
If an auction is the way to go,I suggest that bids are PM'd to Jim who can then post the current price on a thread,updating every time another member bids or ups the existing bid...

Or a raffle?

-I would also like to see money raised go either entirely to this forum or split with a charity,I know forums aren't cheap to run,especially with Vbulletin and a proper domain.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I understand exactly what Brian is saying but it would be the cause I would be bidding for and his donation of the tools would be a catalyst for my donation to a good cause. If I won them and they were rubbish I would post them on this site every 6 months just to show it :funny:

However... if I should win them and they were rubbish which I expect they're not as bad as he says anyway, then I would still be happy that I won them and did a little for a good cause on the way.

It would be good to have blind bids maybe pm'd to you Jim and then you post the highest bid but not the highest bidder. That way we all know to increase the bid or not. Because there are two lots, we should have bids for A or B and watch the amount climb.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I understand exactly what Brian is saying but it would be the cause I would be bidding for and his donation of the tools would be a catalyst for my donation to a good cause

Ha Ha Gotchya Doc. :face::face: Are you saying this board is not a good cause?????

Charity begins at home init? :funny::funny::funny:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Ha Ha Gotchya Doc. :face::face: Are you saying this board is not a good cause?????

Charity begins at home init? :funny::funny::funny:

But but but .... no but.. yeah but... yer but... Damn you sire... of course its a good cause and I would like to pay Jim back in some way or even help out by making a donation to the running costs but as far as you're tools are concerned I recon its a done deal.

Jim... Is there any way you could allow us to contribute to the costs? I'm not saying silly money or anything like that but how about having a shop page and we donate a pen or two now and again? All proceeds go to the running of the site.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).