• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Newbie intro

InkyFingers

Hi All,

Thought I'd be polite and introduce myself.

I'm a bit of a pen lover and I also am about to inherit a woodworking lathe.
I should point out that it's voluntary inherit ie my father realises he's too old (91) to use a woodworking lathe and is passing it on to me. Unfortunately he lives in Cornwall and me in sunny Berks means that I've not learned from him over the years and I've got to start from scratch as it were. His house (and ours to some extent) is full of lovely turned items and if I've learned one thing it's don't may too many big items.

I also do woodwork to some extent and when the house it nearer completion ( decorating wise not building) I can get into it again.

Any way I'm going to combine my love of pens with my love of wood (and acrylic) and make some pens.
I'm 58 (or is that 48 and a few (120) months) and an electronics engineer by trade and I just love making things.

That's me!

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Hi Inky and welcome to the forum. You'll be able to get lots of advice and suggestions as you learn to turn :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wotchya Inky come in settle down with a drink and paw your way through the site.
Meet the gang and join in init?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Ah Fingers is it? Welcome to the mad house. I've been on this dog walking forum now for a long time and they're all mad. Not a dog to be seen.l

Paul

Fellow
Welcome I bet there will be some fantastic tools. Also not being rude but if you are 58 and your house still needs decorating after all this time just don't bother. Important man cave time wasted. Instead smear a thin layer of vasaline on the wife's glasses. The constant blurr should mean she doesn't spot the cracks. Not too much and she couldn't drive safely and thus you would need to do the shopping.

Plenty more tips in my head, and voices always the voices.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Inkyfingers ..welcome to the sanatorium...we are running this place but they don't know it.:oldman::oldman::oldman:

naxie

Registered
Welcome to the forum IF! :waver:

What part of Cornwall is your dad from? I'm just on the other side of the river, infact we have a good view into Cornwall from our house, I'll give him a wave.:winking:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Hi All,

Thought I'd be polite and introduce myself.

I'm an electronics engineer by trade!

That was lucky, you could have been an electrician, that would have been painful..:face:

Welcome to the forum, as you see most of the sane ones are in pink and keep the forum afloat. Keep an eye out for the leg ends on here, there the ones that get in the plonker club..:funny:

Have fun with the banter and we all hope to learn from you as well because we all no nowt about walking dogs..:face:

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Welcome to this special, very special madhouse Mr. Fingers. Hopefully you'll always get what your looking for and be willing to share what you create when you get your lathe. Again Welcome.

InkyFingers

Hi All,

Many thanks for you welcome.

A couple of answers:
Paul:We moved into our bungalow about 2 years ago. Needed new kitchen, bathroom, one new floor from woodworm, re-plastered ceilings because the previous owner was a heavy smoker, repaint because of previous. So were still re-decorating. I'm now getting around to the second( final?) re-organisation of my garage/workshop so I have to allow for the lathe plus the possibility of a Myford ML7 some time.

naxie: You'll need long arms to wave to him, he lives down long near Falmouth.

Cheers

Inky

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Welcome, sounds like your introduction was similar to mine, by way of "inheriting" a lathe, thankfully in similar circumstances where Dad is still here.

It's a bloody slippery slope from there mate as my sanity and wallet can testify. :ciggrin:

You'll enjoy it in here I'm sure, the rest of us inmates do anyway.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Welcome to the fold Inky, their a friendly lot full of great advice, just ask and the answers will come, probably 10 different answers but all basically right :rolling::rolling::rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).