• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Building A Vacuum Chamber

Jim

Grand Master
I mentioned to a friend about building a vacuum chamber for stabilizing wood, when he asked what i was building it from he sent me this link ... Acrylic Sheeting ..

Funnily enough, I bought my roofing for the lean-to from here and never gave the place another glimpse .. :down:

Ideal for the 10mm Acrylic needed for the chamber, and that they cut to the dimensions that you require .. :winking:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Nice one Jim. Ive got myself an old hot waser urn which I will convert. I'm a refrigeration engineer so I've got a vac pump, only problem is the resin. Did you get any further with any info on a uk supplier, as I begrudge building something I may not be able to use:nooidea:

Jim

Grand Master
Nice one Jim. Ive got myself an old hot waser urn which I will convert. I'm a refrigeration engineer so I've got a vac pump, only problem is the resin. Did you get any further with any info on a uk supplier, as I begrudge building something I may not be able to use:nooidea:

ultraseal do it i think if you buy 20L you get it around 18 quid a Litre.

What happened to the guy you brought here Frankie, didn't he have some resin at a decent price? The only problem i am sure he said that it had a shelf life?? :thinks:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Yes but if you keep it cold it lasts longer but it had been catalysed so it will go off in the end
..I dont know were he went Jim he sold on ebay.

kjmc1957

Registered
Hello Everybody

I've been speaking ti Ivor at ultraseal vi e-mail and phone, I haven't bought any yet because I can't find the £125+vat at the moment (that doesn't mean I've put it down somewhere and can't remember where I put it...lol)but I plan to get some in the next few months, unless there is anyone in the Cambridgeshire area that wants to go halves? The only issue is that they want to deliver it to a company address, something to do with them being charged if there is no one in to sign for it on the delivery day, not sure how to get around that, but I'm going to sweet talk the young lad at my local DIY shop in our village.
I hope this helps.

We can supply you with Ultraseal Wood Stabiliser. Please see application method and MSDS attached.

We can supply in either 5kg or 20 kg containers.

Sales price for 5 kg drum is £125 plus vat ex works.
Sales price for 20 kg drum is £360 plus vat ex works.

If you wish to purchase any wood stabiliser please let me know the quantity required plus your delivery address and we can send you a proforma invoice for the total amount (incl vat and delivery charge).

Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Ivor Bowen
International Sales Manager
Ultraseal International
Godiva Place, Coventry, CV1 5PN
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)24 76258444
Fax: +44(0)24 76551402

Ultraseal Europe - Casting Impregnation Sealant and Machinery

kjmc1957

Registered
Acrylic sheeting

Hi All

I went to a plastics engineering company and asked for an off cut of 20mm acrylic, they wanted £40 for the off cut, I suspect that it wasn't an off cut and they were charging me full price, I only wanted 13" square, has any one got a better supply anywhere, I saw Jim's post but when I checked he website they didn't seem to do 20mm.

Regards

Kevin

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Id go halves with you if we could meet half way to pick it up maybe saffron walden what do you think.

ericofpendom

Apprentice Member
Hi Jim, I have used a short length of gas main (you won't implode that stuff!!) as my chamber.(see your local gas main installation team and get them to let you have an off-cut). I only have the 5"dia stuff but it will be enough for the stuff I have plans to do. 1/2" polycarbonate sheet top and bottom.
Eric...

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
I am using an old pressure cooker for my chamber, I can do 6 to 8 blanks side by side, I am making a 2 tier system so I can double up on blanks.

Robin

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Hi All

I went to a plastics engineering company and asked for an off cut of 20mm acrylic, they wanted £40 for the off cut, I suspect that it wasn't an off cut and they were charging me full price, I only wanted 13" square, has any one got a better supply anywhere, I saw Jim's post but when I checked he website they didn't seem to do 20mm.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin, they do 20mm acrylic/perspex Just less that £15 for 300mmx300mm Acrylic/Perspex Cut To Size 20mm Clear Acrylic clear

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You all worry about implosion, why?
How much suction do you think you will create with your vacuum pumps.
I built a vacuum chamber from from 12mm mdf sealed it with polyurethane varnish and silicone'd the angles, used a tabletop cooker element to heat the plastic and vac formed may items with it.
It never bent, buckled or bowed and gave less trouble than the Ridat vac forming machine I paid a fortune for.

Jim

Grand Master
I don't recall where but i have seen some videos of pressure cookers used for the chambers, one was showing where it did implode but there were many good results with it .. :thumbs:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Im sorry if Ive started an implosion debate but all i was saying was some urns have thin wall thickness and could give under vacuum ruining the setup cheers Frankie.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).