• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

latest Polyester Resin Mix

Jim

Grand Master
My latest Polyester Resin mix, using Red, White and blue as my colour choice. It is the first time that i have used the silicone rubber mould for a nix, so lets see how it comes out. I have learned from other castings not to be led by the colours you see at the top of the mix. So we will look in a few days time and see what we have.

polyester_resin_3_mix.jpg

trapper

Registered
That looks promises do you find polyester a bit brittle when turning or is it me being impatient over the brew

Jim

Grand Master
Steve, if you use anything other than a Skew, then yes it can be brittle. Thou on some occasions (depending how big in diameter) i have started with a rough gouge, then half wat through revert to the skew to bring it back to ribbons ... :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
Have you never stirred resin with your feet while turning Terry ... :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
Just over 12oz Frankie ... :bwink:

That should have been 12oz Frankie, not 120 ... :whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
The silicone used is for the mould Alex, which was Silicone Rubber, what Frankie means is the resin .. I think ? :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
I cut this today, another mix that i didn't get right, all the white lay on the bottom, just like the other mix i posed about. :rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
Be interested in seeing how it looks, Do you pour one colour in at a time then give then a bit of a stir?

I did with this Mark, i poured the white in first the gradually mixed in the blue and red ..

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).