• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Purpleheart bowl

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Went to see Andrew Hall (the Hat man) at Nuneaton a couple of weeks back with youngest son Jack (9). Whilst there he said "Dad would you make me a bowl?" Of course says I, "Go choose some wood".

Little so and so came back with an 8 x 2 lump of Purpleheart.

Here it is and despite being ever so careful when turning and then sanding carefully so no heat, it still bloody cracked ! :rant:

Still he loves it, so all's well that ends well.

SAM_3030a.JPG

That's not a mark it's a reflection !

SAM_3031a.JPG

Jim

Grand Master
Shame about the crack Phill, you done a very good job with this, love the silky finish .. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A lovely bowl Phil and a lovley colour. Shame about the crack

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Well done for persevering with purpleconcrete. I think you intimated that it was not your wood of choice, nor mine! I think there is good reason you dont see "flagship" pieces made from this stuff, was it very wet? Tough stuff to dry and can have been cut years ago and even small pieces can still be sopping wet.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well done for persevering with purpleconcrete. I think you intimated that it was not your wood of choice, nor mine! I think there is good reason you dont see "flagship" pieces made from this stuff, was it very wet? Tough stuff to dry and can have been cut years ago and even small pieces can still be sopping wet.

Seemed to be dry to me and HARD thankfully had the Hope carbide tool which was excellent on it.

Not a great choice by Jack but what the client wants is what the client gets.

He loves it :kiss:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Very nice

Don't you just hate tricky clients :rant::rant::rant: I love the client that just say you chose or the one that give you a rough idea of what they want and then you make the rest up :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Not a great choice by Jack but what the client wants is what the client gets.

He loves it
And so he should its a great bowl I am sure he will cherish for a long time to come, well done.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Great looking bowl Phill, sone has great taste, are you sure he hasn't been reading up about difficult woods?
Bet he thought I will give him a challenge.. :funny:

But well done, nice shape and you have persevered with that and ended up with a really nice piece.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).