• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A little Apple cup type thing

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Someone gave me two lengths of Apple the other day about 6 ft in total so I thought I'd take a little bit off one of the logs and have a play.

Was going great guns for a while, nice grain, bit of bark left on for effect

SAM_3023a.JPG

And then :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

SAM_3024a.JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thats fruit wood for you drill holes each side of the crack and lace it up jobs a good un

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Finish it as woody says Phil and you've still got a lovely bowl.

Jim

Grand Master
Shame as it looked to have some very nice grain .. Still a nice shape Phill .. :thumbs:

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Whoops! Nasty split there Phil. You sure have been busy today, I'm sure you'll do something with it and meek it fabulous.

ericofpendom

Apprentice Member
Phil, woodturning really appealed to me when I started as I am a very impatient man and the immediacy of turning satisfied my need for instant gratification. That's why I learnt early on not to bother with fruit woods unless they were bone dry. How many times do we get offered logs from peoples garden trees only to find it's cherry or other fruit and then refuse it due to the length of time we have to wait to turn anything from it, apart from if you like things with cracks and splits in that is. A year an inch plus 1 year is way too long.
Be patient or burn fruit wood!

Eric...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).