• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Wood recognition

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Can anyone tell me what this wood could be please, it seems quite light and very dry and dusty when cut! it's been left to dry in a shed for about 4 years or so! Any ideas? Thanks..:rolling:
wood 1.jpg

wood 2.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wood init !

Thought I'd get there before Brian :face:
Glad you said it for me init?
I did look earlier and shall I, shan't I? No poor sod really wants to know it's beech and beginning to spalt if it was left any longer where it was.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I'm not sure but will make a lot of pen blanks. What does the grain look like?

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Thanks for the replies, I'll try turning something with it and will cut a couple of blanks and post a pic as I am so good at pics!:funny::rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
For it to be powdery my guess would be something spalted .. Easy way out .. :ciggrin:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Definitely Spalted that's why it so light and dusty, lots of sanding sealer or CS when turning it and razor sharp tools.

Peter

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Need to see a sanded flat race close up to see if it has the little pips that beech has until then Im sticking with spalted sycamore .

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That pic looks like sycamore to me ... Although far be it from me to disagree with Brian. :rolling:

Hell what do I know other than it is wood that's for sure.
I wouldn't normally argue with Neil over this but for the bark tells me it's not Sycamore.

This is the sycamore I am more familiar with and BH's pic don't look like it init?
mp0BAZY.jpg

The pics look familiar with fire wood logs in Beech that they have in B&Q init?
Beech-bark.jpg

But hey I am only trying to stir up a Easter debate init?
I am a numbnuts when it comes to wood ID they all the same but different init?

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
The trunk you show is a mature tree as you go up the tree the bark will smooth out on the younger limbs.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).