• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Where Can I get Handmade/Turned Mahogany/ wooden Fountain Pens In the London Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farhanc

Hello
My question where can I get a Handmade/Turned Mahogany/ wooden turned fountain pen in London England?

As I want a handmade wooden mahogany pen for myself and gift's for birthday's of friend's.

The pen should be under £50/ $75.95 as I have seen wooden turned pens for £20/$30.38 and a bit lower.

Or can somebody Turn the Fountain Pens for me?

Any help appreciated on this matter as I cannot find hand turned pens in the London/M25 area, Yorkshire and parts of England have pen turners , but I have not found one London.

Yours

Farhan London England

Jed Baxter

Registered
Hi FARHANC, I AM SURE SOMEONE WILLBE HERE SHORTLY TO MAKE YOU AN OFFER, AND A LOT LES THAN £50 TO. :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Just a few questions, that probably a few members may want to ask ... :nooidea:

What type of pen are you looking for?
What pen parts are you looking for, Chrome, Gold etc etc.
Have you any pictures of pens that you have seen that you would like members to make?

I hope you find what you arer looking for mate. :bwink:

Alex is more than capable of filling your order :thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Came across this post on IAP, posted yesterday evening. BR, if you're still talking to this guy PLEASE don't spend any money until he's paid you. He's not acting like a serious buyer, now is he?:rolling:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Well he was just being a very difficult customer and also did not want them in till autumn any way so i am not going to bother with him as i can do with out the fuss

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I have seen this post elsewhere also but it was sometime ago I didn't want to criticize but now others agree I would avoid it hes seems like a messer.:nonono:

farhanc

I have seen this post elsewhere also but it was sometime ago I didn't want to criticize but now others agree I would avoid it hes seems like a messer.:nonono:

Hello

I apologise if people think am being obstinate.

I spoke with Alex via e-mail.

I enquired about material used in the nib, he stated Iridium.

I told him that if found my own nibs could he make them fit the pen.

Alex appeared hesitant about different nibs.

I mentioned that I found some affordable GOLD nibs.
On this website
Fountain Pen Nibs ― Vintage Fountain Pens

I was thinking the £25 nibs 14kt gold.

Not the parker ones, but Sheaffer or Watermans.

I then enquired if it was possible to fit nibs in his pens. He said"I have just looked at the on I have in stock and the nib dose not come out"

I further then enquired if the diameter of pen hole could be changed.

He stated that nibs used nibs, which in his opinion were just as good as gold.

I reiterated that I wanted gold nibs as I one for a birthday gift and for myself but if the nibs were sliver or platinum then I would consider an alternative nib.

He then mentioned a roller ball pen and he stated he could get nibs but they are expensive.

As what I particularly wanted, is a mahogany fountain pen with a real solid gold nib?

Some turners say they only use certain nibs and any different nibs do not fit the pen they make.

If a UK pen turner said they could use the nibs I choose as I want to spend around £50 all in.

I would purchase nibs then pens. The nibs seller say “My gold nibs are different, they fit into a section with a feed behind it, the entire assembly is then push fitted into the barrel. You would need a steel reinforcing ring inside the wooden barrel to prevent it splitting.”

The nib seller will sell me a complete nib assembly for £30 “and you will have to turn the barrel and fit a steel collar inside. The assembly would have to be pulled out of the barrel to fill it.”
So all I need someone fit the nibs I purchase to make fountain pens, for myself and my friends birthday.

one year I contacted a London silversmith and got his name engraved in Arabic on sliver cufflinks £70.

Last year I contacted a Horologist in Switzerland and got a l brown leather strap gold plated on the metal bits timepiece for £50 I had to customs of roughly £20 and western union costs but i got 2 watches under £100 , it was budget label form Horologist who generally makes music-box timepieces for thousands.Jacques du Manoir - Collection
big__TN21.jpg

for another friends birthday I purchased a Laban fountian pen in sterling silver for £50 and got it graved saying happy birthday to"his name" from Farhan and another friends name in london.

I look forward to your thoughts on this matter.

Once agian I apologise if people think am being obstinate

It just I want good gift for friends birthday.

Yours

Farhan

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
well i have found gold nibs for the pen but it will cost more then 50 after installing them

farhanc

The person with the nibs for sale say" I can supply the other parts for £5 per nib, so a £25 nib would be £30 with the required ink sac, feed and section."
would this help.
yours

Farhan

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
BR, I'm guessing you agree with this advice Farhan got from IAP earlier today:

"I would also be remiss if I didn't warn you that the costs are going to be considerably more than the $75.00US or so each you have been looking to pay as mentioned in your other threads on other forums. There are a few here that will make a kit fountain pen for that price but it will cost extra for solid gold nibs and there will be postage along with any customs at your end if you get someone from the colonies, past or present, to make it. The custom or scratch made pen will be many times more expensive as they need to make the pen with ink proof liners inside the wood to prevent ink leaks from staining the pen from the inside out. and to hold the threads as the mahogany won't. That is like making a pen within a pen."

Bottom line: if Farhan wants the kit nib you can do it for £50. If he wants gold nibs or a custom-made section he'd better sharpen his pencil. Right? Oh, and you'd like 50% deposit before starting work ... :thumbs:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
BR, I'm guessing you agree with this advice Farhan got from IAP earlier today:

"I would also be remiss if I didn't warn you that the costs are going to be considerably more than the $75.00US or so each you have been looking to pay as mentioned in your other threads on other forums. There are a few here that will make a kit fountain pen for that price but it will cost extra for solid gold nibs and there will be postage along with any customs at your end if you get someone from the colonies, past or present, to make it. The custom or scratch made pen will be many times more expensive as they need to make the pen with ink proof liners inside the wood to prevent ink leaks from staining the pen from the inside out. and to hold the threads as the mahogany won't. That is like making a pen within a pen."

Bottom line: if Farhan wants the kit nib you can do it for £50. If he wants gold nibs or a custom-made section he'd better sharpen his pencil. Right? Oh, and you'd like 50% deposit before starting work ... :thumbs:[/QUOTE

I agree

trapper

Registered
MMM
custom made section + feed + GOLD nib standard grinding not custom or engraved from me = £120 and thats a plated section in aluminium or brass; solid cast hallmarked silver try £340 up

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
yes but that means making a kit less pen which means you have to make ever bit from scratch which is going to cost a lot more then you are wanting to pay

Status
Not open for further replies.