• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What to buy to cast a small bowl ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Right, a while ago on here someone posted a video of a guy making bowls from offcuts set into resin.

I've had an idea (dangerous) that I really want to try out.

So to do something similar then, setting "something" small (lots of them) into a clear resin to then finish turn.

What do I need to buy?

I have the bowls to use as the moulds, so it's the resiny stuff, I have no experience of doing anything like this before.

I probably won't do much of this so don't need stuff in industrial quantities.

All advice gratefully received.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
My bestest advise is don't bother, stick with real wood you have plenty of it from the sound of your excursion at the weekend show us some of that init?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
My bestest advise is don't bother, stick with real wood you have plenty of it from the sound of your excursion at the weekend show us some of that init?

You're not kidding, there's boatloads of it thanks to that very nice man Mr Lawton.

I'll be doing some at the weekend don't worry, I may just take a pic of the garage floor to hack some people off tonight. :ave_it::ave_it:

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Phil

You might want to have a look on You Tube for a chap called Brendan Stemp, Aussie woodturner who does a lot of resin work, the others will be along shortly to tell you where to buy and what to but, I suggest Brendan Stemp because he talks about colouring the resin to work with the wood rather than clash with it.

Regards

Kevin

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Hi Phil

You might want to have a look on You Tube for a chap called Brendan Stemp, Aussie woodturner who does a lot of resin work, the others will be along shortly to tell you where to buy and what to but, I suggest Brendan Stemp because he talks about colouring the resin to work with the wood rather than clash with it.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin and thanks, I couldn't remember the guys name, but he's the one who was posted a while back on here.

For the idea I have it needs to be clear or it won't come out right.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You can use PR or PU, water clear casting resin. The PR which shrinks a little stinks to high heaven and should not be done indoors or you will be sleeping outdoors. PU doesn't stink anywhere near as much and could be used indoors, it doesn't shrink as much as PR, but it costs at least twice the price and you only have a couple of minutes to pour it. PU is best suited to pressure.

I use Fibreglass, Glass Fibre, Gelcoat, GRP, Polyester Epoxy Resin - CFS Fibreglass Supplies amongst others.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).