• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tourmek v Triton

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Or should that read £406 v £180? My local supplies outlet at Bedford saw and tool Company reckon that the Triton is as good as the Tourmek without the price tag. Any views on the comaprison?

I am sure those users of the Tourmek will jump on the keyboard to tell all and sundry how good the Tourmek is, but I am really after any comparable information - is the Triton as good?

Triton Wetstone Grinder TWSS10

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I can't give a comparison cos I never used any of em but I will say they are all only as good as the person using them, and the way in which they set it up.
Getting a repeatable grind I would think more important than what you are grinding on.

worms.jpg

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I would also think it depended on how much you used it but apart from that, I also haven't used either.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Personally I don't like wet stone grinders for gouges great for flat chisels and plane irons but gouges make channels in the stone and it takes forever to true them up again but saying that they do make the tools very sharp which turning soon removes but another thing to consider is what is the quality of the stone like

naxie

Registered
The Tormek gives a nice edge and is easy to use as long as you can replicate your existing grinds on it perfectly. If you need to reshape or even want to take a nic out of the corner of your skew you'll be there a long time and use a lot of rather expensive wheel.

I have the T3 with various jigs and it does have it's uses. I did buy a couple of the cheaper Jet clone Jigs with it originally to save a few quid but both were returned as they were rubbish to be honest. The Tormek ones are alot better but the fingernail grind jig does feel a lot more flimsy than the Sorby equivalent.

Since I have had the Pro edge though I haven't touched the Tormek. I can reshape quickly then change tbe belt and give a super fine edge, repeatably and quickly. It's also a lot cheaper to change a belt than a wheel.

If you have your heart set on a whetstone, I may even sell mine, it's only gathering dust.

Hope that helps a little Neil.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I have the Tormek T7 Neil and it's a decent bit of kit but not sure it's worth the money. I use it only for flat chisels and plane irons 'cos as woody says, gouges ruin the wheel. I do use the linishing wheel for all types though.
I can get a great edge with it but my turning chisels are used straight off the bench grinder.

One drawback for me is that because I don't have anywhere to leave it permanently it goes in a cupboard and is a pain to lift out and set up every time I want to use it. Also as with all wet grinders the water should be emptied if not being used for a while and that's also a nuisance.

The Triton looks good on paper but one thing to maybe check is the shaft material. Tormek had problems I believe before they changed to stainless.

Bob

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Basically they are both wet grindstones with a rod fixed to them that you can attach jigs to to get repeatable grinds.

One is called Tormek and costs a mint the other is called Triton and is, by comparison, dirt cheap.

No brainer IMHO.

And as Brian says, they are both only as good as the bloke using them.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).