• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Fancy a day in York?

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Hi all.
I will be honest and say I've tried to organise something like this before, and failed through lack of interest!
You lot though are a little bit different, and in some cases, a lot different:face:

Here is the deal!
I'm trying to organise a Woodturning event In the School I work at.
This will be held on a Saturday (approx 10 till 4pm), date to be confirmed.
There will be a ticket price (approx £10, at the Mo.), but this will include a buffet lunch, and demonstrations from well known turners who are prepared to give their services free of charge.
Any profit will go to the Design and Technology Department, to enable us to provide more practical experience in the subject.
There will be access to some of the departments CNC equipment, and the laser cutter will be available (at a small charge), for members to bring pen barrels or boxes to be engraved.
I can provide some pen blanks on a "pay what you think it is worth" basis, and may look at a raffle and commercial sales of products, if there is enough interest.
I will be looking for attendees from any where, so this will not be exclusive to this forum, but thought we could have an unofficial get together.
It's all a bit "up in the air" at the moment, and I realise the attendance may be influenced by a fixed date, but if anyone is interested, could you please let me know here.
I haven't got all the figures, and I'm no accountant, but anything over 20 people should mean we are on!
Regards,
Neil

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
My Drain loves the city of York and would relish the opportunity to spend some time there.
I need no further excuse to go, I would like as much notice as possible in order to grab a bargain at a premier inn somewhere near the event.
Yes I could well be interested.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Saturdays in June, July, August and September, may be the best for the school, but I will have to check with the demonstrators.
It's actually quite difficult to fit in with everyone, hence the post for interest

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
You had me worried by the title of this thread that I was going to miss something as me and her in doors are in York this Saturday.
Anyway I'm definitely interested. But again it will depend on the date and I already know I can't do the 4th Saturday in the month (as a rule)

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
You had me worried by the title of this thread that I was going to miss something as me and her in doors are in York this Saturday.
Anyway I'm definitely interested. But again it will depend on the date and I already know I can't do the 4th Saturday in the month (as a rule)
Drop in if you get chance Chas!
Drop me a pm.
Neil

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I wouldn't rule it out as the CMM would like to go to York.. Bloody long way though but anything for my little petal.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
August is looking good guys.
One demonstrator I had lined up can't make it then, but I'm looking for another!

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Right you lot, as you can imagine, trying to organise something like this is like herding cats!
The story so far....

The provisional date is Saturday 16th August!
If enough people can attend, the ticket price will be £10, buffet included!

Philip Greenwood (RPT) will be demonstrating for free, and providing his Demo lathe for use,for other demonstrators, at "ZERO" cost!
Phil is an all round good bloke, who regularly writes for Woodturning magazine!

Walter Hall will also work for free, and give a pen demonstration, and is open to (polite) suggestions as to what that might be!
I'd like to thank Bob Chapman (RPT) for his willingness to participate, but he can't make the date.

I'm looking at a 3rd Demonstrator at this time, but can't confirm at the minute.

Dan from Taylor Mirfield may be present with stuff for sale.

I will provide some blanks on a pay what you want basis, with all profit going to the school!

If anyone attending wishes to bring some thing as a raffle prize, then 1/3 of the profit will go to the school, with 2/3 going to the forum, as Jim sees fit!

One of the food teachers at the school has already offered her help with the buffet, and her time for free!

I can confirm that the CNC centre lathe will be running for you "metal heads", though it doesn't have a 7mm drill:rant:
The laser cutter will also be available for cutting and engraving, for a small charge, on pens or boxes!

If any one has any (sensible) ideas :funny:, a repeatable trophy / rosette, can be made to present to the monthly competition winners?

If you can attend on this date could you repost?
I'm trying my best to make this happen!
Best regards,
Neil

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).