• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Scroll Saw Template

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Another for the library I have dabbled with a little scroll work.

Attachments

• 2013-03-20_13-37-02 - Copy (566x800).jpg
    2013-03-20_13-37-02 - Copy (566x800).jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 2012-09-07_10-00-22.jpg
    2012-09-07_10-00-22.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 74

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
They are brilliant, I was going to say I love the mice, but I love the parrot as well, I am going to have to get a scroll saw.

Super, well done.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Boll****s you do all that segmenting and can't use a scroll saw, I don't believe it.

I had this saw for a few months Brian, i couldn't get used to it for love nor money, so like many toys that i bought it went on ebay .. :wink:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
When I first started turning pens I played with different ideas and this was one of them by taking a standard square blank then using the scrollsaw to cut a wavy line through it and glue in a piece of veneer into it and produced this. Sorry about the pen as it was one of the first 5 that I had ever turned.

Attachments

• DSCF0010 (2).JPG
    DSCF0010 (2).JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 35

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
You could do that on a bandsaw with a thinner blade couldn't you?

Phil you can do some decorative work on a bandsaw but you are limited by the depth of the blade. A scroll saw blade is less than a millimetre deep so you can literally turn the piece 360 degrees around the blade - can't do that with a bandsaw blade (even if it's only 1/8" deep). Also, you can do 'piercing' on a scroll saw - drill a hole in the piece, unclip the blade from the top post, lower the piece over the blade through the drilled hole, clip the blade back on the top post and do a completely internal cut. Can't do that with a bandsaw as the blade is a sealed loop ...

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Yup - my problem exactly Jim. I either hold the piece too tight and snap the blade, or too loose and it jumps around like a kangaroo on crack!
Same as young David, I discovered I could lower the blade guard to stop it jumping so high but that was a pain fitting and removing constantly.
I also tired many different blades, not all the cheap variety but it still did it.
Definitely an art in using one of these things buy I have never mastered it yet.
I tip me lid to those who show such lovely work and great skill with their mitts init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).