• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Best finish for an Olive bowl

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Right then, that nice man Mr Lawton gave me a piece of Olive which hopefully will become a rather nice bowl over the weekend.

( I have no doubt about the quality of the wood, it's the quality of the idiot on the other end of the chisel that I'm worried about.)

So, what in peoples opinion would be the best finish to put on it, to really bring out the features in the wood ?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Now we go into another mine field LOL this is the way I do it first a wipe over with a spit of some sort then denib and then use an oil finish gloss teak oil satin finish Danish oil about 6 coats and denib between coats

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
A wipe over with spit ? That's different :funny:

I assume it should read spirit ?

I was hoping you'd say teak oil was OK, that's what I had in my mind.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
A wipe over with spit ? That's different :funny:

I assume it should read spirit ?

I was hoping you'd say teak oil was OK, that's what I had in my mind.
Sorry mate yes spirit it is only to remove the natural olive wood oil from the wood surface

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
As Woody says Phil, Oil is the way forward. Which oil is entirely up to you.
Whichever you use, the grain tends to shout "Look at me" regardless:funny:

Keep that bottle of spit, (Spirit) handy and wipe your tools down after turning.
Don't leave shavings sat on the lathe bed either, or everything will be black the next day!

Jim

Grand Master
Phill, we know Woody is as common as they come so here is my way of doing it .. :rolling:

The way I do it first a wipe over with phlegm then denib and then use an oil finish gloss teak oil satin finish Danish oil about 6 coats and denib between coats ..

If you dont have the phlegm, PM your address and i will send you some over, i have loads .. :winking:

Hope this helps ..

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Phill, we know Woody is as common as they come so here is my way of doing it .. :rolling:

The way I do it first a wipe over with phlegm then denib and then use an oil finish gloss teak oil satin finish Danish oil about 6 coats and denib between coats ..

If you dont have the phlegm, PM your address and i will send you some over, i have loads .. :winking:

Hope this helps ..

Bloody snob :funny::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).