• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another .. another Knife Finished

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
IMG_9928_zps36d3de60.jpg

this one is a 4mm thick Buscraft Knife, (made for my mates xmas present) :blahblahblah:

Irish Walnut, with three colour Mosaic Pins... Finished with 1000 grade wet and dry, and Boiled Linseed oil..

Hope he likes it.

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
I must admit, its a bit of a tug on the heart strings handing this one over...
But I've got to reduce my stock holding, as I need cash in my slush fund for 'Bigger toys'
That means....... no sentimental attachment at present.......

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Mosaic pins are purchased in rod quantity... I bought a lng length last year, now every knife I make, has the same at present...
They are stainless tube, with copper rods, and black epoxy resin filler..

This is that batch now run out.

Mosaic pins aren't difficult to make. You make them by configuring your pin, with lengths of appropriate colours etc, then vaccuming the resin up through the remaining holes..

I just find it cheaper to buy at present. Although I have made them in the past...

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Mosaic pins are purchased in rod quantity... I bought a lng length last year, now every knife I make, has the same at present...
They are stainless tube, with copper rods, and black epoxy resin filler..

This is that batch now run out.

Mosaic pins aren't difficult to make. You make them by configuring your pin, with lengths of appropriate colours etc, then vaccuming the resin up through the remaining holes..

I just find it cheaper to buy at present. Although I have made them in the past...

Cheers Matty. I use brass rod for pinning a lot at present but will give some thought to this technique, because they look stunning. Lovely knife, too, BTW!

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Cheers Matty. I use brass rod for pinning a lot at present but will give some thought to this technique, because they look stunning. Lovely knife, too, BTW!

ANy examples of what you've made... Im always looking for inspiration... ?

I have made my self one before, but fancy making a damascus later in the year...?:ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).