• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Elm bowl

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
This afternoon I turned an Elm bowl, from a piece Neil Lawton so generously gave me yesterday.

Yep you did and a nice one at that.
Quality of the pictures is outstanding on these forums lately, a real joy to view.
I'll change the quote while I can still edit init?

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
One of those woods that I would like to turn someday always seems to have a nice grain. Like the form of the bowl by the way

Paul

Fellow
looks really nice Im chomping on the bit to try bowl turning but think I might look out for a lesson or two first

Whilst I did have a lesson. At style and bates this was because I had never turned before. If you are turning pens then they are more fiddly than bowls IMHO. Especially if you are making tenons for the cb. And getting the barrels flush. Simple bowls let the wood do the talking. Ok natural edge looks tough. But small ones for your nuts are a great starts.

I used a project in this book as a guide https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/product.php/section/7044/sn/BK2831

Jim

Grand Master
You done the wood justice Chas, a very nice bowl indeed .. :thumbs:

Title sorted my friend .. :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That is a very nice bowl very pleasing to the eye with its lovely form and finish

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).