• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi All

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Hi all a long introduction but I am new to computers and new to Woodturning and a two finger typer.
My name is George, I am a 60 year old lazy good for nothing drunken bum, or so a lot of people would have you believe, until recently that is, when my life changed around.
I was a career soldier. The army was my life, my family my everything, my whole existance revolved around Army and I couldn't cope not having it anymore.
I was invalided out after spending a really long time in hospital, my parachute didn't open and I didn't die but wished i had.
The broken bones mended eventually but something snapped inside my head and I am not sure I can ever repair that.
Having been kicked out of my tribe so to speak I became a homeless loner, formed a death wish and would pick fights get drunk and make a real pain of myself.
I hung around the garrison towns mainly between Grantham and Aldershot, stopping in London on the way through and wearing thin any friendships I ever had.
Well known to the police and spent many a night in the cells, I don't really know how long I did this for.
While going through it everyday just mingles into another the whole world is your enemy and its everyone elses fault but your own.
One night just before Christmas i was getting some shut eye in a boiler room of a local office block, usually very nice and warm but this night the boiler was broke and I think I would have died of Hyperthermia if I hadn't been rescued.
A young lad took pity on me and took me home to his house, I was weak and tired and in no state to argue, now you can imagine what went through my head when I woke in his bed.
I am rambling now away from the point, suffice to say he slept on his setee that night and there is nothing gay about the man whatsoever, he genuinly felt sorry for me and gave me a chance.
I am not the sort of guy to bite the hand that feeds and took the opportunity to drag myself back into the human race.
Tom is a smashing young fella, a boiler maintenace engineer with a terrific girlfriend Stef and I owe them so much, he even found you people for me to start writting to.
To start I earned my keep by cleaning the house car garden and cooking etc. Now I have an address I can sign on and look for work.
I worked the odd week here and there until the agency found what they called a long term temp job, working in a modern unit in the industrial park nice and clean and warm HELLO WORLD.
The boss showed me to my bench and what I thought was a sewing machine, ten minutes training then left to my own devices drilling and turning plastic bushes for missiles from plastic bar.
I LOVE MY NEW LIFE so much I never want this to end I live with lovely people in a modern beautiful home and have a good job too Maybe I have died and gone to heaven.
Sods law, 3 weeks into my lovely job the boss came and told me I had worked so hard for him I had done all they need for the whole contract and I was no longer required.
Then had the nerve to me he couldn't afford to pay me until he gets paid for the contract and didn't know when that is likely to be.
We had many words with each other and he got very angry with me to the point where he was violent and started hitting my hands with his face.
The police were called and a mutual agrrement was struck, that I would take the lathe, drill and band saw in lue of cash until such time as he could afford to buy them back from me.
Hence my new hobby of woodturning, Tom and Stef have stood by me through this and given me nothing but encouragement and shown such faith in me that I cannot disappoint them, I must make this work.
Yes I am a Clumsy sod by nickname and by nature, I am all fingers and thumbs but hey I think I have found something I can do at long last, I just love this turning lark.
Show me more, I love learning about it and reading all your comments and help from the forums and turning websites.
I can read and understand what I read.
Are you still here?
Thanks for putting up with me so far.
So much more has gone on and I want to tell all about it but I think you have the measure of me by now.
Oh and by the way the arresting officers got me a job as caretaker at the local nick and all charges dropped, Charmed or what?

Oh sorry to go but I did say it would be a long introduction I want o meet peole make amends and build friendships again..

Best Regards
George

Jim

Grand Master
Wow, that is some into ... :funny:

Welcome aboard George, look forward to seeing some of your work .. :bwink:

Love the Clumsysod handle BTW ... :thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Welcome George, good to know that you were able to pull your life around mate :thumbs:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Wow thanks for the comments and the posting guide that was easy for Tom.
He will show me next time i show off, if there is a next time.
Nice words of encouragement cheers lads.
Tony I wouldn't say I have turned my life around yet mate.
Still a long way to go but apart from a glass of wine with Sunday lunch.
My last drink was November 27th 2012.
So nice to be welcomed thanks

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Hi George welcome to the forum. That is some intro. On the forum we try to help one another with any problems regarding turning and have a bit of banter along the way. Join in and enjoy it!!!
Regards
Terry

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).