• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pine Cone Slimline Pen

Jim

Grand Master
Got this done today, a great experience turning these pine cones i would recommend that all pen turners try this at some stage ..:thumbs:

Used Blackwood for the C/B and gave the pen a CA finish .. Filled most of the voids with Burr Elm dust.

pine_cone_pen.jpg

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Nice one Jim.
The one I made is now actually trying to open, regardless of the Ca.
It's only in the areas where you can see the "White feathering" effect.
Going to disassemble it, and give it another soak!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It was well worth waiting for, I especially love the use of the Blackwood, I have to get some of that, with the black accents and looking at the top barrel I can just about see that you too got one of the special blanks that were purposely drilled off centre to reveal that whitish core. Can you take another photo Jim, showing more of the whitish core on the top barrel? Please.

It's a stunner!

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Lovely Jim, you're right I need to have a go at one some time.

Jim

Grand Master
It was well worth waiting for, I especially love the use of the Blackwood, I have to get some of that, with the black accents and looking at the top barrel I can just about see that you too got one of the special blanks that were purposely drilled off centre to reveal that whitish core. Can you take another photo Jim, showing more of the whitish core on the top barrel? Please.

It's a stunner!

Peter

I had taken a couple of images Peter this one has some of the white core you talk about .. :thumbs:

pine_cone_slimline_pen.jpg

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Well it certainly was worth waiting for ...That is one helluv a Slimline sir.

amazilia

Hi Jim, that is a stunner, and for me it is about inspiration and a target to aim for. You have used the blackwood centre band, is it straight across and then where it meets the beautifully shaped centre edge of the lower barrel, what can you see looking towards the bottom of the centre band from the nib end of the pen ? I hope hope that makes sense, it would be obvious in my hand !
Regards Terry

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).