• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Roughly turned bowl

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
This morning I roughly turned a green bowl
20140505A.jpg
20140505B.jpg
No Neil I can't remember what wood it is :funny:
But it is either, Beech, Sycamore or Poplar :thinks:

Attachments

• 20140505A.jpg
    20140505A.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 32

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
This I like chas. Lovely clean finish. However it ends up after moving, it's going to look good:thumbs:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
That's a showroom ain't it? where's all the dust and shavings? be nice if the bowl stays that shape, nice job!:thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well that is another for the store it pile, should be a good bowl once it has dried and been turned to its final shape

Jim

Grand Master
When are your intentions of finishing the bowl chas, letting it dry or having another go while wet? Great shape you have left it with my friend .. :bwink:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
The intention is to let it dry, to a degree as it is for a re-enactor to use in their Living History display, slight warpage is acceptable, if not expected.
So. The wood had been sat in the timber store for 4 months. Turned it today then gave it three blasts in the microwave (30 secs each time followed by 30 mins rest). Then into a paper bag full of shavings.
The plan is to repeat the process for the next 4 to 5 days and weigh it every day as well. I'll have to see how it goes, but hoping to hand it over at the end of the month

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thats very good Chas, how did you turn it without getting shavings everywhere????????? :thinks::thinks::thinks::thinks::thinks::thinks::thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).