• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Do you practice your turning?

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Do you practice your turning regarding other projects or do you go straight in for the kill so to speak? I have to practice as i am not proficient enough or confident to use a good piece of wood only to see it sat on the top of my bin! :devil:

Jim

Grand Master
I try not to practice, but i have my fair share of ruined wood because i didn't practice ... :whistling:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I believe that every time you turn you practice as you always try to change your technique slightly to improve on your last turning. I'll have a go at any style of woodturning to see if I can learn from it. I am never happy with anything I turn as I always feel there is room for improvement. Maybe if I get to professional standard I'll stop trying to improve.:thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I never practice, just sort of pick up the tools and go for it. I'm like you Terry, never happy 100% with anything I make. I find myself or pointing out faults to people as I hand a pen over. Invariably they can't see the faults I can or dismiss them as me being pedantic.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
At the end of the day it's only a bit of wood and yes it costs money to buy but if you ruin it then it's only the price of a couple of cups of coffee and look at the pleasure you get from trying to make something!!! :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
I don't mind making mistakes early in the makings as nine times from ten you can pull something back, but why is it that all my mishaps come right at the finish ... :whistling:

You know that extra bit of sanding on a lidded box as the lid is a little tight! Now it is very slack and sits on top very loooooose ... :rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).