• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

home made vacuum chuck cheap and works great.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
This works great hope it helps.
20140506_160439.jpg
20140506_161038.jpg
and I Cant get the video working
[video]vacuum chuck[/video]

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
More info quickly please Frankie.
Looks like you have it working from your dust extractor via a vacuum cleaner hose????????????????????

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Something also worth mentioning if you have not done so already have you made a controllable relief hole to allow air into the vac unit so it does not overhead, as many vacs require a through flow of air to keep the motors cool

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Something also worth mentioning if you have not done so already have you made a controllable relief hole to allow air into the vac unit so it does not overhead, as many vacs require a through flow of air to keep the motors cool

Yes I have drilled some holes but i can also use the one on the hovers own hose.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Brian straight in to a normal henry vac.

Really and you get enough suction??
So what a re you sing for a bearing to stop it spinning like a loony?
I am intrigued by this one Give some details please mate.
More pics n stuff init?
This could e the innovation of the century.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Good on you Frankie very ingenious well done mate I had to reverse chuck two bowls today

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Brian as you can see I turned a bit of wood to just under the inside size of the headstock wheel then cut a groove for an o ring this seals it I seated a bearing in the wood I then turned the rubber and some of the plastic from an old caster wheel enough so that it fitted into the elbow of an old dyson flexi tube the caster centre fitted the bearing well but i glued it anyway
I know your following me you have an inventive mind .

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
How have you joined rear of spindle I am not sure I do follow but I do like the idea block of wood and O-ring I am with all that.
Is the bearing internal to the wood block and press fitted to back-plate or held with it's own suction??

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
We were demo'd a vacuum chuck at the club and I looked at all the home made plans around, I haven't got around to trying to make it, but it in my head to try it.

Yours looks great.

Peter

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Brian the bearing is glued in the wood the caster is glued to the hoover tube then glued to the bearing the front is just a fase plate with ply and foam for the seal made a video of it working but it wont upload.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It may need time to settle in and update on youtube.
Do you have a url for it?
There you go it's on now.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).