• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Are you happy with your sharpening

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
My tool tips are not what i see in books or videos after i have given them a sharpening, but they do me a job. How do your come out? :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
What about the skew thou chaps, this is probably the most inconsistent of all my tools. Thou to be honest i have only just started to use this tool so not yet that confident with it. :goesred:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Aha here I can be of some help, I may have only just started turning and be very much a novice.
I have spent many many days and nights sharpening tools knifes bayonets etc.
Throw away all those fancy gadgets go and buy an old fashilned oil stone.
Boot sale or the like will find a cheap one.
I have read about the ideal cutting angle and seen these expensive jigs which may be all well and good for those who have money to waste.
I have seen many experts showing off their latest must have gadget.
And what a load of old tosh it all is.
I have read some very sensible guides as well.
I will give my guide here and now it is very simple really.
Think about what you are trying to achieve first, do you want scalpel sharp? Then buy a scalpel or spend hours honing.
Do you just want sharp enough to shave some wood at how many revs per minute, say 30 cuts per second. then use a stone and spend 20 seconds sharpening.
I suggest that if you had sharpened to scalpel level within two minutes it would be dull enough for you to do it again. if you did the latter it would still last two minutes.
Get what I am saying here firmly in your mind first, application dictates the method,
A surgeon will make 2 cuts and throw away his blade and use a new one.
A cabinet maker will sharpen his chisel or plane and make 5 precise cuts before resharpening.
A chef, butcher or fishmonger will stand with a steel in his hand while chatting at the counter make 5 or 6 cuts and pick up his steel up again
A wood turner will make 30,000 cuts in a couple of minutes and then complain he didn't sharpen his tool correctly?????
Get real gents now try shaving wood with a scalpel or a wood chisel or a plane on your lathe and see if they last any longer or do the job any better.
Ok so now we have that message through the next thing to think about is the angle, this is another cause for debate is it 45 degrees or 42 degrees?
What is the ideal angle? None is the ideal angle once again application and the same arguement as above. for our purposes a single edge on a gouge and a double edge on a skew is sufficient.
There is only one part of the whole tool that does any cutting, the cutting edge, a small part of the tool but how you can make it smaller so quickly just by trying to make it look good.
Concentrate your effort on that small cutting edge only when sharpening it. A few quick rubs on a stone is enough to keep it shaving wood for the next few minutes.
No need for diamond stones or sorby jigs or tormek systems they are all gimmicks, Carborundum oil stone old as the hills and proven through generations, sit with it in front of tthe telly and practice.
Hold the blade at the same angle with every sweep, apply pressure when pushing away and slide back through the oil not lifting but barely touching.
You will soon have all your tools in tip top nick as mine are at no or very little cost, and its actually quite relaxing and theraputic.
Enjoy.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I agree totally George as I've been using oil stones for 50 years. The reason that I have a Sorby profiler on my grinder is to put a fingernail shape on gouges as it is easier than trying to do it freehand on a grinder. All other chisels I shape freehand on the grinder. All honing I use either an oil stone or for a quick touch I use a diamond stone, The reason that I use a slow speed grinder is to prevent heat build up on the chisels. The axminster grinder that I use costs £130 whereas the Tormeks cost hundreds and if the axminster is good enough for Glenn Lucas then it's good enough for me!!!
Regards
Terry

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thats a great post mate, thanks for writing this up. I like the part where you comment on the cutting edge, i never looked at it like this as i am one of those who try to keep the shape. Well not any more. :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Exactly my point Tony, the shape is already there it's not like you want to reshape it or put a fingernail profile on it.
I saw somewhere recently a good tip, use a black marker pen and draw a line across the tip rub the line off on the stone and its sharp.
Try it, it really works, that is how little effort and time it takes to keep a tool sharp after a dozen times you won't need the marker.

Jed Baxter

Registered
You guys are correct, we look at the whole picture and not what is needed. Sound advice, and something i will take with me. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
I am relatively happy with my sharpening, but reading George's post i know i can be better. :thinks:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I agree with George but when I'm sharpening a gouge it is so much quicker to touch it up on a grinder freehand and if you are a professional ( which I'm not ) time counts in your production costs. Therefore you will have to reshape a cutting edge every so often and this is where a jig comes in!!
Regards
Terry

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Oh don't get me wrong guys I have nothing against jigs and they are fine for those who can afford them.
I am simply saying they are not necessary for everyday sharpening, I don't have one therefore cant use it and my tools are open to anyone's inspection.
I know they work, my favourites are a three sided round and a flat chisel fashioned from old files my parting tool is an old putty knife.
Don't forget I might get this setup taken away from me any day so I don't want to spend money I don't have until I can save enough to support my new hobby.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Oh don't get me wrong guys I have nothing against jigs and they are fine for those who can afford them.
I am simply saying they are not necessary for everyday sharpening, I don't have one therefore cant use it and my tools are open to anyone's inspection.
I know they work, my favourites are a three sided round and a flat chisel fashioned from old files my parting tool is an old putty knife.
Don't forget I might get this setup taken away from me any day so I don't want to spend money I don't have until I can save enough to support my new hobby.

Bloody sensible,,mate. My wife wishes I could be that pragmatic ... :fart:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).