• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First attempt with a scrollsaw

johnny5

Registered
Recently bought an Axminster trade scrollsaw and decided today to have a bash at making a clock from 1 inch oak
What i have come to terms with is that it is
bloody difficult to do , I snapped my first blade and jumped , my glasses fell off and i stepped on them breaking the frame , think i will stick to the lathe or get myself some plywood to start practising smaller items to start with until i get used to the machine.
DSCF2235.JPGDSCF2234.JPG

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Full of admiration for the attempts, I ain't gonna try and knock it cos I appreciate how bloody hard it is.

They can't be that bad cos I can see there is a Dolphin and a Pegasus there init?:funny::funny:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Nothing but admiration from me either, I tried with Dad's Ferm scrollsaw, it finished up on eBay.

It's a lot harder than it looks and kudos to you for a bloody good attempt.

You don't do things by halves do you :funny:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
A good first attempt. A couple of questions what blade did you use and how did you transfer the pattern to the wood.
Oak is not really the best for first attempts. speed of cut is another thing to be aware of.

Matt

Registered
Is good to see you started on a nice simple project :whistling: that's the kind of thing I would do, straight into the deep end :funny: no seriously, it looks good for such a complicated shape. I know that the choice of blades are all important so may be worth having a look around for some decent ones :thumbs:

johnny5

Registered
A good first attempt. A couple of questions what blade did you use and how did you transfer the pattern to the wood.
Oak is not really the best for first attempts. speed of cut is another thing to be aware of.

Answer to your questions, i used a size 7 pegas blade and transferred the design onto an adhesive sheet of A4 .
Any guidance on what are the best blade to use will be gladly accepted. I had the speed at full as it seemed the easiest cut compared to a slower speed

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
They look fantastic for a first attempt ..kudos to you bro ...It's never something that I have contemplated doing .Hmmmmmmm:thinks:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
When you printed the pattern did you do so in black if the answer is yes then try to print it in a red you will find that when you cut along the line it will show as black against the red line easier to see and helps avoid some of the wonder the rest comes with practice.

When doing small curves and inside corners use a finger on the wood as a pivot point.

I was surprised that you said a number 7 blade as I would have expected a cleaner cut. The blade you have started with is ok as you progress you will find the best one for the wood and thickness.

A couple of places of interest http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?PHPSESSID=96475fef55b8f44c84d5afdbdb55c7a9&

Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts

These were done with a very fine blade (I can't remember as it was a while ago) they are a lot thinner than yours but you can see that there is some fine cutting on them. Each one is only 2 1/2" tall

Attachments

• DSCF1878.jpg
    DSCF1878.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 57

johnny5

Registered
When you printed the pattern did you do so in black if the answer is yes then try to print it in a red you will find that when you cut along the line it will show as black against the red line easier to see and helps avoid some of the wonder the rest comes with practice.

When doing small curves and inside corners use a finger on the wood as a pivot point.

I was surprised that you said a number 7 blade as I would have expected a cleaner cut. The blade you have started with is ok as you progress you will find the best one for the wood and thickness.

A couple of places of interest http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?PHPSESSID=96475fef55b8f44c84d5afdbdb55c7a9&

Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts

These were done with a very fine blade (I can't remember as it was a while ago) they are a lot thinner than yours but you can see that there is some fine cutting on them. Each one is only 2 1/2" tall
Thanks for the tips and great looking ornaments , i have just tried a similar clock using pine and it was much better and cleaner cut using a 5 blade.
I found the oak very hard to cut
like anything i will just keep on trying till i am happy with the result.

Jim

Grand Master
I admire all scroll work, i have been there and tried it, that is as far as i got .. :down: Two great pieces to say that they are your first attempts Johnny ..

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Well done that man....:thumbs: I take my hat off to you..

For a first I have never done any, my Dad did but I never took any interest in them..

But looks like you have made an exceptional start.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
They are both very good for any attempt let alone a first attempt and you can clearly see the frog and horse. :funny:

Well done. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
They look great, but for a first attempt they look fantastic:thumbs:

Peter

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Bl**dy good work, Johnny! Bit wobbly but clearly recognisable. Keep at it and soon you'll be producing the quality of work Derek has shown ... (Or maybe you might want to be less ambitious in your goals!)

:funny:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Blimey Derek, you're a bit stingy with the compliments today! I put it down as bloody marvellous. Scroll saws are like women drivers, go all over the shop without indicating or reason, intolerable.

Must of had a grumpy moment is it catching:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I must get a new head on my soldiers, I thought Costco as a coffee shop and l saw the title of this thread as First attempt with a coleslaw.
I might need feeding.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).