• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mahogany and Maple nut bowl

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Another play and practice.

5 inch dia (ish) Mahogany topped with Maple. Friction polish.

Bit rough on the inside as it seemed to rip even with a very sharp gouge, anyone got any advice ?

SAM_3071a.JPG

SAM_3073a.JPG

SAM_3075a.JPG

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Bit rough on the inside as it seemed to rip even with a very sharp gouge, anyone got any advice ?

What speed did you turn this at and which tool did you use.

Nice little bowl I would like to have seen the outside shape follow the inner curve a little more

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
What speed did you turn this at and which tool did you use.

Nice little bowl I would like to have seen the outside shape follow the inner curve a little more

3/8 bowl gouge for most of it then finished off with Hope hollowing tool 8mm, round about 1000 rpm I think

Point taken on the shape, thanks for the honest comment.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
3/8 bowl gouge for most of it then finished off with Hope hollowing tool 8mm, round about 1000 rpm I think

I would have not used the hope tool in this instance they are mainly used for end grain. I have the Crown Revolution ring tool which is similar type of tool and except on the very odd occasion only use it for end grain, all bowls in the cross grain I sharpen the bowl gouge and then give it the final cut.
Also with a bowl this size you could possibly take the speed up to the next one which will also help with the finish cut

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I would have not used the hope tool in this instance they are mainly used for end grain. I have the Crown Revolution ring tool which is similar type of tool and except on the very odd occasion only use it for end grain, all bowls in the cross grain I sharpen the bowl gouge and then give it the final cut.
Also with a bowl this size you could possibly take the speed up to the next one which will also help with the finish cut

Good point, maybe I should have used the Sorby multi as a scraper instead.

I have more to try so will do one with the gouge and faster then do one with the Sorby.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Good point, maybe I should have used the Sorby multi as a scraper instead.

I have more to try so will do one with the gouge and faster then do one with the Sorby.

I know what it is like when you get a new tool you just want to play:banana::banana::banana:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I love the combination of the two woods:thumbs:

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
As Derek said Phill sharp bowl gouge fine cuts and up the speed that is a nice close joint on the two woods

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).