• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Forest pine cone

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
This is one of the lot I got on ebay a few weeks ago these are not as bad to turn
1.JPG2.JPGDSCF2699.jpg

amazilia

I picked up some cones in the woods today, and now my wife thinks I should do as well as this ! You set the bar high Woody and I can't do the Fosberry flop, only the flop !
Regards Terry

Jim

Grand Master
They are certainly more uniformed than the ones Peter sent us Woody, i love these pens and really pleased that i was introduced to turning such an item .. You done a great job of this for sure .. :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Those cones certainly are uniform in structure ..looking at it makes me want to do some more .:sob:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
They are nice, but they are not as spectacular as the smaller cones, they are far too uniform. I turned one of the bigger ones but didn't like it as much as I thought I would, I am going to stick to the smaller cones.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
They are nice, but they are not as spectacular as the smaller cones, they are far too uniform. I turned one of the bigger ones but didn't like it as much as I thought I would, I am going to stick to the smaller cones.

Peter

It was just an experiment Peter trying different cones to see what they are like Its all your fault LOL I must admit they are easer to turn for some reason even with ca they seem softer personally I have no preference and I still have two of yours to turn yet its all good fun

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It was just an experiment Peter trying different cones to see what they are like Its all your fault LOL I must admit they are easer to turn for some reason even with ca they seem softer personally I have no preference and I still have two of yours to turn yet its all good fun

They are definitely different in structure and yes they are much softer. I wanted to make an executive click with a big cone, I thought it would look great with one piece, but I was disappointed I didn't finish it.

Please don't get me wrong, the pen you made is a cracker and I think if anyone is thinking of turning one then they really should try one of the bigger cones before they try the smaller ones. Sorry to everyone who got the smaller cones from me, but that is all I had tried at the time:kiss:

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Sorry to everyone who got the smaller cones from me, but that is all I had tried at the time
Don't be daft what you did was great and very generous, They are a totally different structure and each has their own characteristics and natural beauty.
I wouldn't have bothered to turn one if weren't for you.
I had seen them before but they hadn't appealed to me until I got one or four in my hand init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).