• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

carbide inserts

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Apart from the ones the guys on here have got where else do you get your round inserts
I got sent a couple of samples from cutting edge carbide and they work very well.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have been using these.
Cheap as chips init?
3 to a pack and I only paid a fiver for em, shop around, they are thinner than the normal cutter blades but they are still sharp and good enough for light work especially pens.
Try em tell me what you think.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
They look okay Brian, do you know what size hole it is and what the diameter of the cutter is?

I bought 20 12mm dia. carbide tips from ebay a couple of years ago, cost between £1 - £1.25 each at the time, I still have about 17 somewhere.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
They look okay Brian, do you know what size hole it is and what the diameter of the cutter is?

I bought 20 12mm dia. carbide tips from ebay a couple of years ago, cost between £1 - £1.25 each at the time, I still have about 17 somewhere.

Peter

Peter I used a m5 allen head screw to secure them and I think they are 12 -14mm diameter will check and get back to you

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
I use AZ Carbide from america they cost around a fiver with postage but stay sharp for a long time. the only draw back is if you are fitting it to a bought tool (sorby) you will have to counter sink the top of the screw thread as the countersink on the inserts are quite large.

I make my own tools for these inserts using a £1.99p rolling pin a 12mm solid square bar from b&q price £6 and the insert total cost around £12 per tool I do nothing to make them look pretty just glue 3inch of the bar in the rolling pin grind a step at the other end for the insert and tap an m4 thread for the fixing.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I use these, they are a bit expensive but you get what you pay for. They are extremely hard wearing and can really plough the wood off. You just turn them when they loose their edge and re-sharpen on a flat diamond plate.

Vic

Easy Wood Tools - Peter Sefton Tool Shop

I have bought them from an american guy on ebay about £7 inc. postage I can't remember his name, but will try to look it out.

It is azcarbide | eBay

Peter

Last edited:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I just mic'd a couple of those hamilton's they go from 16.79mm to 16.88mm so I would guess they class that as a 17mm scraper, with a 5.5mm hole.
They are as sharp as any other just a bit thinner so only for light work, they are not designed to be used on a lathe but hey who cares if it works.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).