• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

2 small oak bowls

mattyts

Registered
Turned these over the past few days,the images haven't been editted besides cropping as the auto levels feature sent them very funny looking

P1000788_zpsdfd94d34.jpg

P1000789_zps9d02e8a7.jpg

P1000787_zpsd0492972.jpg

Bowl 2..

P1000791_zps19e28edf.jpg

P1000790_zpsc1a61e15.jpg

P1000792_zps9aad936c.jpg

The lighter one is finished with friction polish and the darker one finished with liberon wax stick,both finishes have the same gloss but the stick was easier to use.

Both about 4 inches in diameter and both have undercut tenons like below so I can put them back on the lathe if needed

P1000796_zpsbf7ce072.jpg

P1000793_zps52d86d31.jpg

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is a lovely brace of bowls Matt and as Brian said good pics too.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I had a look at the levels in photopad and also photoshop where I adjusted them manually. Here are the results.

Photopad First and then photoshop and then the original. The levels can also be adjusted manually in photopad, I just haven't got around to playing with it that much but will let you know as soon as I do. Maybe Peter could give a few tips if he knows the package?

Attachments

• bowl_PP.jpg
    bowl_PP.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 41
  • bowlPS.jpg
    bowlPS.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 41
  • bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 41

mattyts

Registered
Nice looking bowls Matty. The only thing I would correct is there are still some sanding marks that need to be taken out on the tenon !!!!!

Thanks Terry,Yeah I had noticed the sanding marks,the tenons had only been sanded up to about 120 grit just to get rid of tooling marks,the rest of the bowl,including the base was done to 600

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I had a look at the levels in photopad and also photoshop where I adjusted them manually. Here are the results.

Photopad First and then photoshop and then the original. The levels can also be adjusted manually in photopad, I just haven't got around to playing with it that much but will let you know as soon as I do. Maybe Peter could give a few tips if he knows the package?

I haven't got a clue about photopad or anything windows based.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
If you decorate and polish the chucking recesses it looks so much better and saves a lot of sanding in a small space worth doing if you notice the first thing a bowl turner will do is turn the bowl over to see how you finish them
DSCF2743.JPG

mattyts

Registered
Thanks guys,these are probably the 2 best bowls I've done because I finally was able to get rid of the dimple that always used to appear in the center of each bowl, I will start cleaning the tenons up in the future,I hadn't thought about them much until now,always consider them function over finish :nooidea:

Paul

Fellow
Nice bowls and the "beauty spot" is an extra feature. I find the tenon a bugger to tidy up too as only have a basic chuck.

mattyts

Registered
Nice bowls and the "beauty spot" is an extra feature. I find the tenon a bugger to tidy up too as only have a basic chuck.

I only have an Axminster 100mm chuck,I turn the tenon while the blank is on a faceplate,profile the outside roughly then re mount the bowl on the chuck,finish the outside and hollow it out.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no

Its dosn't matter what chucking system you have as all the work done on the recess is done when you create it before the bowl is turned around to go on the chuck right at the start

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Its dosn't matter what chucking system you have as all the work done on the recess is done when you create it before the bowl is turned around to go on the chuck right at the start

A nice pair of bowls Matty :thumbs:
As Woody says make sure you finish up inside and around the tenon before turning the blank around. Cos it's a right pain in the proverbial to try and do afterwards. Trust me I know :rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
Two little beauties Matty, as you say, the wax stick is so easy to use, just not sure how it will handle "Time" .. :nooidea:

Paul

Fellow

Thank you. Ironically I tried that with my ash bowl earlier tonight and concluded that's I've been far too impatient to get stuck into the bowl inside. :bwink: must slow down. :banghead:

mattyts

Registered
Two little beauties Matty, as you say, the wax stick is so easy to use, just not sure how it will handle "Time" .. :nooidea:

How are you using it Jim? I've been applying it at about 1,000 RPM,building up a layer then using the reverse of sandpaper (just paper) to heat up the wax and spread it out,followed by a buff with a clean cloth.

I'm not how long it will hold up but since these bowls will remain in my possession,I can always spin them back up later and re apply the wax or another finish.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).