• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Take a look at this

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
I've seen this fella before. I can't begin to imagine how much effort and time he's put in. Shows that nothing really beats determination eh! Thanks for the share Matt. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Amazing. It shows how much we take for granted even something like positioning the tool on the rest before starting the lathe. He has certainly made some lovely forms.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That was my thought, but he has to be able to feel the cut. I did think about blindfolding myself and having a go, but with me I think it would be an accident waiting to happen.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Health and safety he looks as though he could lose a few digits sorry but that looks to dangerous I would never recommend this manner of turning he no dought is good but what we do in our own workshop is ok but not to teach these methods some things I do I would never teach a newbie sorry Matt
I see a video once were to guy had his grinder on a cardboard box and it kept vibrating towards the edge not a good practice to teach again even though he did sharpen his gouge

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Health and safety he looks as though he could lose a few digits sorry but that looks to dangerous I would never recommend this manner of turning he no dought is good but what we do in our own workshop is ok but not to teach these methods some things I do I would never teach a newbie sorry Matt
I see a video once were to guy had his grinder on a cardboard box and it kept vibrating towards the edge not a good practice to teach again even though he did sharpen his gouge

I agree entirely Woody !!!!

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Heard both sides of the argument and agree his methods shouldn't be taught, but, I don't think that was the object of the video. I think it was just showing one man's method of turning that demanded a different approach to a normal turner's method, borne out of necessity. All credit to the bloke for doing something he loves and doing it well. It's not something he's learned overnight, and I bet he has had a few 'nicks' in his time but he obviously thinks it worth it.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I agree with you Dave totaly but I just had to point out the dangers for any newbies safety

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I can't disagree with H&S comments but I do say bloody good luck to the geezer for enjoying what he is doing and doing what he enjoys.
Disability is no obstacle look at me, Short, fat, bald, ugly, stupid I don't have anything in my favour and still get my shed init?
There was a guy on another forum some time ago I think his name is Ike and he runs a wheelchair turners club, brilliant I tip my lid to these people who can overcome the glitch and get on with life init?
Look at our dad and the problems he has on a daily basis never mind his triple bypass, that's a small thing in his life compared to the major problems he has.
Everyday he has to physically stop the good Lady Vi from cooking him a big greasy fry up for brekky then he has to tear himself away from the gorgeous girl just to get to shed.
Only to find when he opens that door he has John Smiff staring him in the face saying "resistance is futile Sir Woody" fighting the call of the can all the time he is in there.
We all have our cross to bare and make the most of our lives instead of sitting in our mobility scooter with our track suit on waiting outside the pub so we can chuck our dole money in the fruit machine and sponge a beer from a passer by init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I can't disagree with H&S comments but I do say bloody good luck to the geezer for enjoying what he is doing and doing what he enjoys.
Disability is no obstacle look at me, Short, fat, bald, ugly, stupid I don't have anything in my favour and still get my shed init?
There was a guy on another forum some time ago I think his name is Ike and he runs a wheelchair turners club, brilliant I tip my lid to these people who can overcome the glitch and get on with life init?
Look at our dad and the problems he has on a daily basis never mind his triple bypass, that's a small thing in his life compared to the major problems he has.
Everyday he has to physically stop the good Lady Vi from cooking him a big greasy fry up for brekky then he has to tear himself away from the gorgeous girl just to get to shed.
Only to find when he opens that door he has John Smiff staring him in the face saying "resistance is futile Sir Woody" fighting the call of the can all the time he is in there.
We all have our cross to bare and make the most of our lives instead of sitting in our mobility scooter with our track suit on waiting outside the pub so we can chuck our dole money in the fruit machine and sponge a beer from a passer by init?

Like it LOL :funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).