• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Taylors Mirfield @ L D Smith, Mirfield, Chestnut products.......

First Name
Dan
Another on of my many customer research threads. Please tell me when you get fed up :nooidea:

I had 2 really good meetings yesterday.
Meeting 1 was with Chestnut Products who have agreed to supply; What are your views on Chestnut? Do you use their products and if not what do you use?

Meeting 2 was even more exciting!

I had a meeting with Mr Mark Light, Mark runs the local Hardware shop in a prime location on Huddersfield Road, Mirfield (the main road though Mirfield), West Yorkshire. Myself and Mark will now be working together to set up a dedicated woodturning section in his Shop (L D Smith Hardware).

Will will be stocking from Monday 26th May a full range of Chestnut Products, A range of Abrasives including my own range of 50mm discs and Abrasive mesh, A range of Pen kits that will hopefully grow over the coming months & Rhynogrip Red line by the meter (to be confirmed after Mondays meeting but judging from the phone call sounds promising).

I am keen to listen to what people feel would be useful for us to stock. I plan to hold talks with Crown Hand Tools, Hamlet and Robert Sorby but this will be one range at a time. Who do you personally prefer?

Just like to keep people updated as to a large degree this group has inspired me to move this forward.

Thanks Again

Dan

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Dan I am glad you have been inspired by a load of crazy old men and a couple of young uns.
Shows you are crazy too init?
I am the wrong person to ask as I buy very little scratch I find the skew and handful of shavings is good enough or if I want a super finish I go for poundland ca and a bit of vim and toothpaste.
Tools, I tend to make my own and don't get swayed by the latest must have gadget.
Wish you well with the venture though I am sure you will become very popular judging by the performance so far init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Good for you Dan and good luck no one can say your not trying mate on the chisels personally I use all three makes

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Good luck Dan, I have the tools I need although I am still after the "steb centre" and I have a lot of abranet. This is about the only other abrasive I use from timberbits, the multi pack.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well done Dan, you're certainly moving forward at a rate of knots. I do use Chestnut products but stopped using their ca due to costs and Alex pointing out a good supply on Ebay and the other products are on the shelf and used infrequently and I've have had a bottle of buffing cream for nearly 2 years and will expect it to last at least another 10 years since discovering about 10 bottles of car polish in the garage. I do use cellulose sanding sealer and have used one tin in about 18 months so unfortunately while I like their products, others can easily replace most of it cheaper.

With regards to tools I personally prefer the Rev and after that Sorby but only because I haven't tried others.

If you could get supplies of cheaper ca then that would be good but I can't see a lot of profit in how we buy it.

What I would buy is some of the high quality kits that aren't available in this country.

Good Luck and I wish you well...

Oh hows the little'un ?

First Name
Dan
Good luck Dan, I have the tools I need although I am still after the "steb centre" and I have a lot of abranet. This is about the only other abrasive I use from timberbits, the multi pack.

Peter

I have had news from the manufacturer today who has told me that the steb centres should be dispatched to me within 2 working days. Heres hoping.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have had news from the manufacturer today who has told me that the steb centres should be dispatched to me within 2 working days. Heres hoping.

Hi Dan kit arrive today do you want it made up with acrylic or Elm burr also will you be getting the steb drive 2mt

mattyts

Registered
I use Chesnut sealer,friction polish and melamine laquer,all good stuff,i would use wood wax 22 once my ren wax runs out too.

Regarding the tools,I use Sorbys set of 8 tools but my main tool at the minute has been one of Woodys specials!

First Name
Dan
Well done Dan, you're certainly moving forward at a rate of knots. I do use Chestnut products but stopped using their ca due to costs and Alex pointing out a good supply on Ebay and the other products are on the shelf and used infrequently and I've have had a bottle of buffing cream for nearly 2 years and will expect it to last at least another 10 years since discovering about 10 bottles of car polish in the garage. I do use cellulose sanding sealer and have used one tin in about 18 months so unfortunately while I like their products, others can easily replace most of it cheaper.

With regards to tools I personally prefer the Rev and after that Sorby but only because I haven't tried others.

If you could get supplies of cheaper ca then that would be good but I can't see a lot of profit in how we buy it.

What I would buy is some of the high quality kits that aren't available in this country.

Good Luck and I wish you well...

Oh hows the little'un ?

Paul,

The Rev? One ive not heard of.

Matt

Registered
Good luck with the venture, you are certainty putting the effort on so hope it goes well for you. I'd be interested in the steb centre, the one that fits into the C jaws so you don't have to remove the chuck :thinks:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I use the following Chestnut products. Cellulose sanding sealer, food safe finish, friction polish and microcrystalline Wax

First Name
Dan
Good luck with the venture, you are certainty putting the effort on so hope it goes well for you. I'd be interested in the steb centre, the one that fits into the C jaws so you don't have to remove the chuck :thinks:

I can deffinatly get hold of the chuck mounted drives but do not have any on order. This can be arranged though.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Good to hear things are moving forward Dan and at quite a pace too

I use Chestnut, Ny-web (got to get more tomorrow so trip yo TR I'm afraid but next time will be from you), microcrystalline Wax, acrylic sanding sealer (spray on) and will be giving their friction polish ago in the near future.

With regards to tools I'm currently using Robert Sorby but likely to give Ashley Iles ago soon :thinks::thinks::thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).