• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Working with leather?

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
Right guys a bit off the wall, but it have just bought an 8' x 4' tanned cowhide really cheap, I fancy making a couple of satchelly type man bags cos of all the stuff I carry around.

Has anyone made anything like this or got any patterns?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I would make a paper template and then copy that design to the leather. To sew it up you can get a little jig to cut lather lace. I've got one and have been looking to see where I got it from. If I find out, I'll let you know.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Ed, that is an image the will stay with me for a long time :face:

I have tried to poke out my mind's eye, it hasn't worked.:sob:

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You could make some lederhosen for Grump and Woody .:thumbs:

Right, you can pack that sort of talk in straight away, just cos you got some strange outfit fetish don't count me into it Mista.
Look what you stirred up now init?
I got me wild up now Ed.
As for manbags, use a bloody cardboard box like the rest of us, andbags is for wimin init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You could make some lederhosen for Grump and Woody .:thumbs:

Emmmmmmmmm do you think I would look good in it then Ed darling :funny::funny::funny::funny:
Come on Brian you know you want to really we may get a load of catwalk work and make our fortune you would never need to work again

Ohhhhhhh blooy Nora I feel sick just the thought of it let me out I wanna go home

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Just to change the subject away from lederhosen & the frankly :vomit: inducing thought of Woody & Brian's little legs dangling from them :devil:

I recently made this vice for a leather worker.
photo_zps8a016c38.jpg

You sit with it between you legs hence the rounded over foot, the vice is for holding 2 pieces of leather while they are stitched, something like this would be handy for the sowing up of a bag.
As for a pattern could you not just use a design from a commercially available one & adapt it to the size you require?

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Right, you can pack that sort of talk in straight away, just cos you got some strange outfit fetish don't count me into it Mista.
Look what you stirred up now init?
I got me wild up now Ed.
As for manbags, use a bloody cardboard box like the rest of us, andbags is for wimin init?

Denial and damnation is a sure reverse physiological sign of approval don't cha know.:frenchkiss::frenchkiss::frenchkiss:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You have already seen me in my mankini you don't peeking at me no more than that init?
Hey even fat people have feelings don't eye?

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Just to change the subject away from lederhosen & the frankly :vomit: inducing thought of Woody & Brian's little legs dangling from them :devil:
I recently made this vice for a leather worker.
photo_zps8a016c38.jpg

You sit with it between you legs hence the rounded over foot, the vice is for holding 2 pieces of leather while they are stitched, something like this would be handy for the sowing up of a bag.
As for a pattern could you not just use a design from a commercially available one & adapt it to the size you require?

The item in Doug's photo is called a "stitching pony" and would definitely be useful when stitching your pieces of leather together. But make one, cos they are damned expensive to buy (about £30.00).

I've made a number of things out of leather (turn shoes, sheaths, scabbards, pouches, belts) and would advise making a template as suggested by Paul before cutting your leather out.

You will also need an awl to make the holes in the leather for the stitching. I would suggest using waxed cotton thread and saddle stitching the pieces of leather together as it is a stronger stitch.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Right back to serious stuff init?
It has been many years since I did any leather work but to add to the above.
I used to have a spiked wheel which I ran along the seam to mark where to make the holes so the were equidistant making a nice uniform stitch.
I think it had a name but can't remember what it's called.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I used to have a spiked wheel which I ran along the seam to mark where to make the holes so the were equidistant making a nice uniform stitch.
I think it had a name but can't remember what it's called.

The item Grump is referring to is an "Overstitch wheel" you can get them in 5, 6, 7 or 10 spikes to the inch :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The item Grump is referring to is an "Overstitch wheel" you can get them in 5, 6, 7 or 10 spikes to the inch :thumbs:

Cheers Chas I don't think I ever knew what it was called that's why I couldn't remember cos that rings no bells whatsoever but it was a useful tool to have for that sort of work.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).