• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another fact or fiction.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
My nephew put this on his FB this afternoon, he is still in Afghanistan so what he actually knows about the incident I don't to sure.
I used to work with a guy who manned the 112 service and he said they were gonna close it and he had been made redundant from it.

1.00pm in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend, when an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put its lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc.
So Lauren remembered her parents' advice, and telephoned 112 from her mobile phone.
This connected her to the police dispatcher she told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked car with a flashing blue light behind her and that she would not pull over right away but wait until she was in a service station or busy area.
The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way.
Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.
... One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind.
They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground........the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.
I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car.
Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a 'safe' place.
You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them I.e., put on your hazard lights) or call 112 like Lauren did.
Too bad the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information.
So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112 (112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the police because 999 does not work if you have no signal).
This is good information that I did not know!

Please pass on to all your friends, especially any females.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
How does that work if you don't have a signal to phone 999 it will be able to get through to 112?

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Thought you were going to tell us that she got 'done' for using her mobile phone whilst driving. !

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Was it Abraham Lincoln or Winston Churchill who first quoted don't believe everything on the internet?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Was it Abraham Lincoln or Winston Churchill who first quoted don't believe everything on the internet?

Good advice Brian, I've passed it on to my daughter but that quote was way before Churchill... wasn't he the one that said 'We'll burn that bridge when we get to it" ?

Jim

Grand Master
Even if it has been posted before Brian, it still is great advice and one that is worth knowing for everyone my friend .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).