• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Turning a Sycamore bowl how I do it

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Before I start please try to remember all the photos were taken by me as I was turning one hand to turn the other to take the photo so they may be a bit crappy
The most important thing with bowl turning is sharp tool presentation I have seen a lot of bowls being turned in my time and tried different methods and this is what I ended up with I always start with my tool rest across the bottom of the bowl on a side grain bowl no matter how big it is I start with the flute facing toword's me and draw the tool from the centre to the outer edge and start to round it off like so
DSCF2754.JPGDSCF2755.JPGDSCF2757.JPG

Creating the dovetail to dress it up a bit I use a pointed tool to create a bead and a line then with a roundnose scrapper create a small hollow in-between them this is were I sign my bowls
DSCF2761.JPG

now to round the bowl of the most important point to remember apart from keep the tool sharp is bevel rub and very fine cuts to finish with working always from the bottom through to the top the second photo is the finish off the tool
DSCF2762.JPGDSCF2763.JPG

Another way of finishing is to shear scrape with your scrapper tilted about 45% on its side again very fine cuts
DSCF2764.JPGDSCF2768.JPG
Now for some liqiit refreshment then I will do the inside

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well the inside is finished again some of the photos were taken one handed and violet took some for me so shall we begin oops I forgot to upload the photos hang on a mo sorry now lunch is served one photo the outside finished and one coat of sanding sealer
DSCF2770.JPG

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Enjoying this Woody mate. The pics are showing what you're doing perfectly well. Looking forward to seeing the inside :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Do us a favour dad, put us wise on that T-bar.
You never know who just might think the chuck key is supposed to stay in init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Do us a favour dad, put us wise on that T-bar.
You never know who just might think the chuck key is supposed to stay in init?

The T bar is on the back of the lathe headstock for when you change the speed it locks and lifts the motor

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Right we are off lunch out the way photos uploaded the first point I would like to make is that this is an 8" x 2" spalted Sycamore bowl I was ask about a fingernail gouge so I have sharpened mine and used it for all the inside work
To start hollowing have the flute of the chisel facing you and draw it towards you but take care that the wings dont dig in as you get towards the finished size
DSCF2771.JPGDSCF2772.JPG
As it begins to open up turn the chisel around and run it down the sides with the bevel rubbing and follow the shape the bowl is going to be working from the outside inwards then alternate your cuts the photos will explane it all for you till you have reached the desired shape
DSCF2777.JPGDSCF2781.JPGDSCF2784.JPGDSCF2787.JPG

If it is needed shear scrape with very fine cuts from the centre to the outer edge again beware not to get a dig in as you go around from the bottom to the sides
DSCF2788.JPG
sand and finish
DSCF2789.JPG
Two more photos of the finished bowl to follow I hope this has been a help to some one if you have anymore questions just ask away Happy turning

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The T bar is on the back of the lathe headstock for when you change the speed it locks and lifts the motor

Thanks for that dad it's just that it looks like a chuck key in some of the shots and the third shot is moving with it still there, saves any confusion init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The finished bowl thank you and enjoy one for Neil's stall at the school when we all meet at York
DSCF2792.JPGDSCF2793.JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thanks for that dad it's just that it looks like a chuck key in some of the shots and the third shot is moving with it still there, saves any confusion init?

Its a good point you raised there mate so thank you

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I forgot to mention it took about 30 seconds to empty the inside of the bowl and about 2min the clean it up and finish it and about 5 min the get the chisels ready to use (sharp)

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thank you Woody, that is an excellent tutorial and how good the photos are too?

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
The finished bowl thank you and enjoy one for Neil's stall at the school when we all meet at York

Thank you Woody Very generous of you! Hope your going to sign it, then we can charge more!
I asked for raffle prizes, but some of the stuff on offer warrants a mini auction! This is one of them!
Mr. Farrer, can't attend, but has offered to send something special up. If anyone else wants to do the same, it would be much appreciated.
A piece of work, kits, unloved wood, or tools, could find a new loving home, and help the school!

Hijacked your thread a little Woody, I do apologise!
Regards,
Neil

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thank you Woody Very generous of you! Hope your going to sign it, then we can charge more!
I asked for raffle prizes, but some of the stuff on offer warrants a mini auction! This is one of them!
Mr. Farrer, can't attend, but has offered to send something special up. If anyone else wants to do the same, it would be much appreciated.
A piece of work, kits, unloved wood, or tools, could find a new loving home, and help the school!

Hijacked your thread a little Woody, I do apologise!
Regards,
Neil
No worries Neil I will make up a box of stuff for the school pens, bowls and vases see what I can do mate and I will send you some photos as I do them if you like or how about we open a donations post for the school that way you will know what you will be getting rather than get bombarded on the day

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Thanks Woody, you are a star!
It is a testament to this forum that this event can take place at all!
You are all so generous!
Jim deserves a medal for what he has created here, and so do Walter and Philip, for giving their time for free! (they're not cheap usually):funny:

Regards,
Neil

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Nice bowl with a fantastic tutorial Woody, very easy to follow and will help anyone if they're new to turning. Photos aren't bad either mate.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).