• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Yow!

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Circumstances beyond my control, meant no cutting was done today, but thought I'd show these anyway!
Several other small trees where discovered today, pretty rotten, but a few pen blanks should come off them!:funny:
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Yet to confirm, but I believe these trees are from Italy.
Regards,
Neil

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
How did they die
Some are actually still alive Alex.
The main trunk dies, but it suckers from the root stock.
It was the bad winter of 11 / 12, I think, which did for them!
A lot of established exotics died that year, got loads of Eucalyptus for burning!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Some are actually still alive Alex.
The main trunk dies, but it suckers from the root stock.
It was the bad winter of 11 / 12, I think, which did for them!
A lot of established exotics died that year, got loads of Eucalyptus for burning!

Seeing as they are in pots I wonder what the roots will be like to turn

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thats all its fit for unless you turn it wet it splits like crazy and its impossible to stop it

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Seeing as they are in pots I wonder what the roots will be like to turn

Whilst they're in pots now Woody, I guess it deepens what ground they started life in. I bought a frost stricken tree that had been planted out for a year but the root ball was a mass of stone.

Jim

Grand Master
I recall a long time ago buying some Eucalyptus Burr that was wet, i cut it into pen blanks to help dry out quicker, i had blanks like banana's .. I do believe that i have some still in the shed somewhere but i halved them .. :ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).