• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sycamore bowl

alisboy

Hi all

Been a while since being on.
I was given some sycamore and cut it into lengths and in half started to some i left outside under cover and a couple of bits i put on my wood rack in the shed, this is one from there, the stuff outside seems ok. The question is i have started to turn a bowl and there is mold through part of it and with my vast inexperience i think it is probably "Donald ducked".
Comments please, Ernie
Bowl.JPGbottom.JPGTop.JPG

alisboy

Thanks Steven

I think I saw it on a forum some place that if mouldy it was no good. I will finish it off and try to make it a feature. I was worried that it would get worse somehow? and come through the oil or wax? Will post pictures when finished to let people see it.

ernie

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It is a common feature of Sycamore I had some split logs and turned some0f it and the green was in that and they sold

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It's a feature caused by moisture and germs and diseases and nasty creepy crawly things under the microscope, UUUURRRRGGGGHHH.
Seal it up and sell it off someone will love it init?

Jim

Grand Master
What ever it is Ernie, it doesn't look out of place my friend, give it a finish i am sure it will come up just fine .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).