• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Damascus

mattyts

Registered
Made these 3 knives today,in the middle is a Damascus blade,imported along with some mosaic pins(Pins inside pins)

The wood on the 2 others is Yew and I chose london plane for the Damascus,still have some sanding and polishing to do though

P1000806_zpsf21d2e55.jpg

P1000809_zps3d5f5510.jpg

P1000810_zps19bb7a30.jpg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
They are all lovely, the London Plane is really nice. With the Damascus, did it come to you with the white bits near the hilt and top, or did you do that?

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
You are certainly very adept to making these Matt, they're superb.

mattyts

Registered
A lovely set of knives Matty :thumbs:
Is the Damascus acid etched? I've never seen circles in real Damascus before :thinks:

Yeah it's real Damascus which has been etched to show the two different steels...Damascus can be made into any pattern using maths and complicated formulas which tell you in which direction to fold etc,some people have been able to fold their initials or stars and triangles into it!

mattyts

Registered
They are all lovely, the London Plane is really nice. With the Damascus, did it come to you with the white bits near the hilt and top, or did you do that?

Peter

The white bits are different types of steels, there are 2 steels which have been welded then folded 100's of times,it's then dipped in acid and each steel reacts differently to the acid,some go grey and others go black,giving the comparison..without an acid dip,you couldn't tell there was multiple types of steel there

mattyts

Registered
For anyone interested in Damascus.. you can see what Acid does in the images below (copied these from a knife forum,credit goes to original owner! )

47be835cbae54723d20179905969ccf0_zpsc95fccd2.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Smashing Matty, well done, that is one big bolster did you make it or was a kit form knife.
Love the Yew too init?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The white bits are different types of steels, there are 2 steels which have been welded then folded 100's of times,it's then dipped in acid and each steel reacts differently to the acid,some go grey and others go black,giving the comparison..without an acid dip,you couldn't tell there was multiple types of steel there

It's just that I have a chefs knife that is damascus, but it doesn't have the white bits and I thought that you may have etched it to make those.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Great looking knives Matty, when i was your age i also had a love for Knives, i would had loved to been able to have done similar work my friend ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).