• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Variable Speed Controller VL100

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
An update on my progress with the VL100 shown where it was now relocated now behind this operating position awaiting the VL150.

The reason is to show you as an old Sparky how I installed this variable speed control many years ago. Its not rocket science but it saved me heaps of money to do it this way. The control unit I installed in an old steel box I had I was told I needed a filter to avoid the near neighbors suffering from wonky TV and the Govt Van tracing the interference to my workshop.It was imported for me by a mate who designed, built and sold hundreds of Faceting Machines used in Precious Stone faceting diamonds etc (self taught genius). They proved absolutely reliable in his machines. So I figured out the connections, wired and installed it next to the lathe using the variable Potentiometer to control speed.

The latest folllow up on the other new Controller already discussed re reforming the Capacitors because I had it on my shelf for several years, this unit would cost me quite a bit to have the Caps reformed at the end of this year it will cease production and a new type sold as from now apparently with a built in Potentiometer and simple connections 240v in and 415 v out has been ordered yesterday from the dealer in Sydney for around the cost of reforming.

I am aware conversations go round and about on posts my aim was to show that with relative ease a bare lathe can be set up to suit me. My requirement after dodging drive belts ,poor leg room etc
1. Bench top mount. 2. Drive motor on the bench (guarded). 3. Best speed control I could afford. 4.Effective dust removal. This set up ticks the boxes for me.

Been working faithfully for ten years now.:thumbs:

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0008-001.jpg
    DSCF0008-001.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF0010-003.jpg
    DSCF0010-003.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).