• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Grumps gripe for the day

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Just had a threatening letter from the Council tax people, we loose our benefits as from the 1st of May because we under occupy our house by two bedrooms.
Therefore there has been an over payment of benefits, this department has been ordered to collect payments, under UK law over paid benefits can and will be reclaimed.
I have 7 days to repay over paid benefits in the sum of £0.08 in order to avoid a summons being issued and or court bailiffs being deployed to recover this sum.

This letter was hand delivered by a member of staff in a nice new shiny car, who showed me her ID card. I had to sign acknowledgment of receipt to prove she had done her job in the correct manner and would I open the letter in her presence and read and acknowledge the contents.

After reading the contents I was more than enraged and took 10 pence from my pocket offered it to her in a very impolite manner, she could even keep the change form the 8 pence debt I owed.

She floored me with her reply "I am not empowered in the collection of cash, I don't keep a receipt book and the slot in which you wish to place your payment is not a coin slot. You should follow the correct procedure and place your payment in the envelope provided, along with the tear off slip, correctly filled in with your details and take it to your local payment point as indicated in the missive you have perused. Good day to yo Mr Wilson."

Totally unphased she turned and walked back to her shiny new car. How much has it cost the Council to collect an over payment of 8P?
A 5 page A4 letter printed and all the costs associated with the delivery of it.

Told my Drain what has just happened and she said "I never did trust them, I knew we wouldn't get any benefits, let them take us to court I have paid the full amount we are over £500 in credit"

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Write them a cheque if you do owe 8p. I would never follow their request to open it and sign acknowledgment, what will they do if you refused, take it away or leave it with you?

I think you should have a regular "Grumps gripe for the day" column:blowx:

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Oh the joys of being at home, it's all new to me Peter, Drain has always done this init?
I got so used to signing for letters and parcels and stuff this seemed nothing out of the ordinary at first.
I need a job I think and get her back indoors where she belongs init?
8P a month council tax benefits what a load of poop who thinks of these stupid bloody ideas? Is it done to keep the rates up or something? Is this the civilian red tape I have heard about.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
We vote the prats who sanction all these ideas in ...but what's the alternative ?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Not being drawn in Brian ... suffice to say that I hate the ba*****s with a vengeance after what they have done to my country.:vangry:

Me too and I sure don't want a political discussion but you asked what the alternative is, and me being the helpful guy I am gave the alternative.
Just like I don't fancy the alternative to life init?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I know how frustrating it is Brian, these council wallies are happy to sit back taking their pay, moaning about their pension, doing nothing except trivial tasks that could and should be written off.

I have a yard next to me that has caravans being lived in, a motorbike club in an office until all sorts of hours in the morning, dog breeding, mechanics building, airport valet parking and storage of scrap airport steps and all without permission. I've been chasing this since 2007 when they were told to get planning permission. This was refused in feb 2010 and nothing was happening. I chased planning and still nothing happened. I've been chasing the local councillor who I had to threaten with the papers to get him to do anything and in the last week or so I've found out why. The person who owns the car parking valet company is the son in law of another councillor. He now knows that I know this so hopefully something will be done, but they're a law unto themselves.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Many years ago I was doing some Taxi driving in the evenings to supplement my poor wages at the time.
One passenger commented as we passed a nature reserve that two posh houses had been built at the top overlooking the the lakes, which goes against the local bylaws and should never have allowed permission for these houses.
Jokingly I replied that's the Mayor and daughters houses she recently married and had a big affair of a wedding, probably at the rate payers expense.
A few short weeks later the local papers reported, Mayor gets drummed out of office for misappropriation and loses his house.
I never did find out if it was anything to do with my comments or if that was his house.
Do I care? Not on your Nelly init?
It's a long drop from the top but if you're laying down you can't fall over.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
People used to laugh at me for being too naive.
They'll wish they hadn't when they find out I've won the Nigerian lottery twice in one week.

The Parrot abridged for the forum.

A woman goes into a pet shop looking for a parrot. The assistant shows her a beautiful African Grey parrot.
"What about this one, Madam? A beautiful bird, and it's an absolute steal at only £20."
"Why is it so cheap?" the woman asks.
"Well", replies the assistant, "It used to live in a brothel and as a result its language is a touch fruity".
"Oh, I don't mind that", said the woman, making her mind up,
"I'm broad minded and it'll be a laugh having a profane parrot". So saying she buys the parrot and takes him home.
Once safely in his new home, the parrot looks around and squawks at the woman. "a new brothel and a new madam".
"I'm not a madam and this is not a brothel," scolds the woman trying not to laugh.
A little later the woman's two teenage daughters arrive home.
"Unbelievable. A new brothel, a new madam, and now two new prostitutes," says the parrot when he sees the daughters.
"Mum, tell your parrot to shut up, we're not prostitutes" complain the girls but they all see the funny side and have a laugh at their new pet.
A short while later, the woman's husband, Dave, comes home.
"Incredible, a new brothel, a new madam, new prostitutes, but the same old clients.... How ya doin', Dave?"

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
People used to laugh at me for being too naive.
They'll wish they hadn't when they find out I've won the Nigerian lottery twice in one week.

The Parrot abridged for the forum.

A woman goes into a pet shop looking for a parrot. The assistant shows her a beautiful African Grey parrot.
"What about this one, Madam? A beautiful bird, and it's an absolute steal at only £20."
"Why is it so cheap?" the woman asks.
"Well", replies the assistant, "It used to live in a brothel and as a result its language is a touch fruity".
"Oh, I don't mind that", said the woman, making her mind up,
"I'm broad minded and it'll be a laugh having a profane parrot". So saying she buys the parrot and takes him home.
Once safely in his new home, the parrot looks around and squawks at the woman. "a new brothel and a new madam".
"I'm not a madam and this is not a brothel," scolds the woman trying not to laugh.
A little later the woman's two teenage daughters arrive home.
"Unbelievable. A new brothel, a new madam, and now two new prostitutes," says the parrot when he sees the daughters.
"Mum, tell your parrot to shut up, we're not prostitutes" complain the girls but they all see the funny side and have a laugh at their new pet.
A short while later, the woman's husband, Dave, comes home.
"Incredible, a new brothel, a new madam, new prostitutes, but the same old clients.... How ya doin', Dave?"

:funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:............Luv it.

Goulss

Registered
First Name
Stewart
You should have if she took credit cards, but I am not saying where to swipe it, the smily can do that :mooney2::mooney2::mooney2::mooney::mooney::mooney:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).