• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

One More Big Thank You

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A Big Thank You to Eamon (Silver) who sent me a JG 2 to try out, I have wanted to try these kits for ages, but as far as I know they are only available from the US. The threads are metal and the tubes are slightly larger than the JG and can take a piston filler, I tried the threads and they are so smooth and not at all itchy and scratchy. The kit is a Rhodium plated fountain pen and I am looking forward to making it up, but from what I have seen, I am finished with JR apart from what I already have. Eamon even sent bushes which I certainly didn't expect, just like I didn't expect all the pen blanks he packed out the box with, some lovely wood in there especially a London Plane blank that I have never had before. It is amazingly generous of Eamon to even offer the penkit, but I am just stunned at this kind of generosity. Thank you Eamon:thumbs:

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Eamonn is a man apart a true gent with a heart of gold even if he dose take the pi55 out of his elders

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Good on ya Eamonn. Peter, can't wait to see the results mate. :thumbs:

Me, I've always wanted to try out one of those Aston Martin's ....:pray::funny: sooooooo if anyone wants to ...........

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Well done Eamonn good lad init?.
Now Peter I think you will agree with me that the jnr gent standard is a crap kit and should be abolished.
We are constantly accepting crap as so called quality kits.
Bear in mind also Peter this is not in the High end range.
That's why I kept my gob shut on another thread, you lot have never seen a high end pen kit and wouldn't want to pay for one if you did.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Well done Eamonn good lad init?.
Now Peter I think you will agree with me that the jnr gent standard is a crap kit and should be abolished.
We are constantly accepting crap as so called quality kits.
Bear in mind also Peter this is not in the High end range.
That's why I kept my gob shut on another thread, you lot have never seen a high end pen kit and wouldn't want to pay for one if you did.

The JG was my standard pen it's a lovely pen apart from the threads, If David at TB did the JG2 I would get them without a problem. I know they are not high end, not every pen has to be. I may not have had a high end penkit but I have paid over £35.00 each, one for my wife and one for a customer, a Majestic FP from Axminster. I have no problem paying for quality if it will sell.

So what do you regard as high end pen kits? I am not sure the high end pen kit exists as what one of us would be willing to pay for a certain kit others wouldn't even give it the light of day, if by high end you mean high price, I have got quite a few high priced JG for sale :chuckle:

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Likewise Peter I have paid lots of dosh for crap kits.
I myself have never seen a high end pen kit but would know quality when I do.
I have done the Majestics and other so called high end kits but never been impressed with one yet.
That is the reason I don't go out of my way to sell them, I want to feel confident of quality before I charge money for any of my goods.
However if some poor sucker wants to buy one I am not cheap and will put a considerable amount of time and effort into giving them the best service and goods I can.
I just looked at his website and he has updated it since I last looked, seems to be toned down and sales are not there anymore but Phil Irons used to sell a German made pen kit kit that was supposed to be the best in the world.
Probably not German at all but a Dayacom kit cos all my googles came back with them. Suffice to say I never bought any at those prices and like the rest put up with crap.
Yes Dayacom are better than the others we have available but they still turn out cheap mass produced rubbish as well and that is what we get regardless of cost.
Plenty will disagree and it is only my opinion which I regularly voice and will until I see something worthy of comment, as I did with the threaded pens, they are far superior to the slimline we have put up with for so long.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The only truly crap pen kit I have seen are those I gave to you:imsorry: if they were the norm years ago I am surprised anyone is still making pens. The kit available to me and others nowadays is far superior to those, but I suppose they served a purpose in that they would have allowed people to make a pen albeit with a crap kit. The kits available now seem to have much better plating although I suppose it does depend where you get them from. If you want to turn pens and are not prepared or able to make kitless then there are loads of readily available kits that are of decent quality, maybe not the standard of quality you wish, but does that exist?

Yes, I am looking forward to try the screw pens after your review, so if they turn out to be crap it's on your head:funny:

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Yes, I am looking forward to try the screw pens after your review, so if they turn out to be crap it's on your head

Oh they are still crap but a better class of crap.

maybe not the standard of quality you wish, but does that exist?

Maybe not (yet) but if I moan enough on everyone's behalf then just perhaps it will one day.
It would if we all stuck together (which couldn't happen) and refused to buy until quality improved then it would have to init?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
you lot have never seen a high end pen kit and wouldn't want to pay for one .

I don't agree Brian.. But then you knew I wouldn't.

Take a look at this. Silver Pen Parts
I know that they are a very good kit and a high quality, I have had the pleasure of using them and know its worth it.

Remember this is the high end Daycom pens, very good quality http://www.penturners.co.uk/wood-turned-items/945-spalted-beech-emporer.html

I agree Dayacom do a budget range, but there budget range are far better than most of the others I know of.

If you think we haven't seen a high end kit then I think its time you puts ya wedge in ya gob and show us some of your high end pen kits..:devil:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
We have already had this discussion in the past Eamonn and yes I knew it would be you to disagree.
So you are the exception having made a silver pen. Then my comments are aimed at all but yourself until someone else speaks up.
I notice in the link there is no price list so I stand by my comment that you wouldn't want to pay for it.
No I don't remember the Spalted Beech Emperor I think this is the first time I have seen it, I am sorry but that looks no more high end than a Majestic to me without having it my hand.

If you actually read my comments I did say:
Yes Dayacom are better than the others we have available
And as for putting my dosh where my gob is and showing my high end kits I also said above.
I myself have never seen a high end pen kit but would know quality when I do.
I have done the Majestics and other so called high end kits but never been impressed with one yet.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).