• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Birds Eye Maple on Slimline

Jim

Grand Master
This is Birds Eye Maple coated with a red water based dye, left over night to dry then given about 12 coats of CA, micro meshed and finished with Meguires Scratch X. Finished with chrome plated accents from a slimline pen.

The picture really doesn't do this pen justice, it is a great looking pen close up. :rolling:

birds_eye_maple.jpg

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Nice one Jim and thanks for telling us how many coats required to get that superb finish.
I definitly need to put more on. Did you use thick thin or medium viscosity?

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks guys ... :thumbs:

Medium on this one George, thou normally i use Thin, it wasn't until i had put about 7 or 8 coats on before i realised it was medium ... :goesred:

Jim

Grand Master
What seems like a long time ago i bought a few bits off Ebay among them was a Green and Blue pen kit, i just left them them in a draw, today i used the Blue one on another piece of Birds Eye Maple, i coated the wood yesterday with Liberon water based dye and left it to dry over night. Today i gave it a cover of friction polish which thinned the coating out and put on the Blue accents .. It will be a gift to my Grandson whose favourite colour happens to be Blue ...

blue_slimline_pen.png

Jim

Grand Master
While experimenting with the water based oil paint yesterday my Grandson walked into the shed saw what i was doing and asked if i could make a green pen for his friend at school ... Well i have had this green kit sitting here all alone so i said why not ... So using the same methods of the blue one in the earlier post i set about and made him the pen, he went home today a happy chappy ... Nothing like Sharons box elder burl, but i doubt he has ever heard of box elder burl before, so my figureless wood is safe ...

painted_slimline_kit.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).