• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Marketing your pens....... Their names

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
A question on how to market your pens, no not all your marketing secrets, just a specific part. "Naming your pens"

I have noticed that the majority of pen turners use the name of the pen kit as their pen name or at least part of it i.e. they buy a sierra kit and sell the made up pen as a Sierra Pen

You can by a made up hand turned Sierra, Jr Gent, Baron, slimline at many many outlets and all the other kit pens as well.

But I have noticed that some sellers change the names of the pen and so you have no link to the pen kit in ant sales info, some may be named after our Great Cathedral Cities, our Countys, Aircraft, Planets etc or just about anything you fancy.

My question is simple, "what are your thoughts on this practice" :thinks::thinks::thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Your the creator of the pen so in effect you can call them what you like a cigar pen is ante social so the kit name isn't very good also some suppliers call the same kits by different names so why cant you

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You can name them as you wish, just make sure you not down the details so that if someone says I bought one of your Parisienne Tarte pens and I would like 6 more please, you know what kits they are. I have wondered if you were doing a fair in a certain town if you had pen relating to that town would it sell any better. If you were near Wootton Bassett would "The Bassett" sell well, I think it might be worth a punt.

Peter

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Your the creator of the pen so in effect you can call them what you like a cigar pen is ante social so the kit name isn't very good also some suppliers call the same kits by different names so why cant you

Thanks, your Royal Woodyness your thoughts are always appreciated :thumbs:

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
You can name them as you wish, just make sure you not down the details so that if someone says I bought one of your Parisienne Tarte pens and I would like 6 more please, you know what kits they are. I have wondered if you were doing a fair in a certain town if you had pen relating to that town would it sell any better. If you were near Wootton Bassett would "The Bassett" sell well, I think it might be worth a punt.

Peter

I like that idea of using the local area your selling in :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
I never even gave this a second thought Billy, i am pleased that you brought this subject up to be honest, because of now my pen kits will have new names ... :kiss:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no

Peter
Peter your a genius that is a great idea one that I will adopt

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter your a genius that is a great idea one that I will adopt

Just make sure you have pens named for surrounding towns as people travel a few miles to fairs.

Peter

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
started this already by re branding as "Hand made in York"
The Roman Eboracum range (slim or streamline)
The Jorvik Range (slim or streamline)
The Asgard range, Odin, Thor, or Freya, (Balder to be announced) in gold, gun metal or silver! depending on Deity! (slim or streamline)
The Richard the Turd, sorry Third, range slightly wonky, (in concrete box, NCP sign included)
The Minster Range, Wall range, and finally the York City FC range (made from an actual turd!)

All the same pens, but it depends who it is I'm talking to at the time!:bwink::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I gave mine local names ages ago but it never helped sales much.

Chav, pusher, A whole range of mugger pens, The bruiser, the thug, baseball bat and the joyrider.

Posh range has, Bent Copper, Dodgey Judge, probation officer, and the prison Warder.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
My range is as follows ; Bowland (slimline) Grizedale (streamline) Gisburn (sierra) Pendle (euro) Delamere (cigar) Kielder (JrGent) Sherwood (lucida),Selwood (R Harvest). Wedding Pens are: Bella Bianco (R Harvest) Bella Crystal (empress) and Bella Sedona (sedona)

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I gave mine local names ages ago but it never helped sales much.

Chav, pusher, A whole range of mugger pens, The bruiser, the thug, baseball bat and the joyrider.

Posh range has, Bent Copper, Dodgey Judge, probation officer, and the prison Warder.

I just can't understand how you didn't get increased sales:thinks:

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Excellent ideas here, I'm going to have to give this more thought.... :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I think giving them local names etc is a brilliant idea as well. I'm already thinking of some :thumbs:

The Jodrell, The Ringway, The BelleVue, The Stretford and The Moss Side:banana: ScouseRoy has it better, The Lennon, The Cilla, The Doddy:whistling:

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Oh yeah I could have the Hamilton for young Lewis init?
I don't think there is much good to come out of Stevenage other than him.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Oh yeah I could have the Hamilton for young Lewis init?
I don't think there is much good to come out of Stevenage other than him.

What about Stevenage high street, that's got to be the best thing that has come out of there..:devil:

You could always call them Stevenage, Brianage, Charlieage, Terryage the personal names is endless init.... in fact there is always Drainage, that's close to your heart init.....:thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I have been renaming my pens for quite a while now, I have a few Whataloadofcraps for sale if anyone wants them

Vic

Graham

First Name
Graham
Hey, you could start another war this way. Just imagine Joe Bloggs on one table selling Oxford pens and Fred Bloggs on the next table selling Cambridge pens from the same kit.
Woa :mooney2::mooney2::mooney2:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).